Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moved Disk Utility by mistake on MacBook Pro (with 10.14.3 Mojave)

I just upgraded to Mojave (not easy and so many extra issues!). But I just wanted to put an "alias" of Disk Utility on the desktop but stupidly moved the "real" Disk Utility to the main Application folder rather than Utilities. The Mac won't let the move it back. Is there a way around this, please?! Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2019 5:43 AM

Thank you both so much. Yes, I got that "can't be modified" message but Disk Utility then showed up in Applications which as you say does not seem to do any harm. And yes it does launch in Applications so maybe that's the best especially as you say there is no harm having it there. . It won't move back to Utilities (too late to try Command-Z...) & I can leave the alias in Utilities.

(5 minutes later) BUT having now got rid of the many aliases I find the "real" Disk Utility (not alias) in both Applications and Utilities. Is having TWO a problem? I don't know how a Disk Utility got back into Applications... And neither will delete.

(5 more minutes) Sigh, I've been wasting your time. I went under File in Finder and used "Move to Trash" (not just clicking Delete as I had been) and the 2nd Disk Utility disappeared sweetly.... So now it is in Utilities and there are no duplicates....

I only leave all this in case it helps someone else!

I did *not* know about putting it in the Finder tool bar and have done that - it will be useful. Thank you.

I thank you both!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2019 5:43 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you both so much. Yes, I got that "can't be modified" message but Disk Utility then showed up in Applications which as you say does not seem to do any harm. And yes it does launch in Applications so maybe that's the best especially as you say there is no harm having it there. . It won't move back to Utilities (too late to try Command-Z...) & I can leave the alias in Utilities.

(5 minutes later) BUT having now got rid of the many aliases I find the "real" Disk Utility (not alias) in both Applications and Utilities. Is having TWO a problem? I don't know how a Disk Utility got back into Applications... And neither will delete.

(5 more minutes) Sigh, I've been wasting your time. I went under File in Finder and used "Move to Trash" (not just clicking Delete as I had been) and the 2nd Disk Utility disappeared sweetly.... So now it is in Utilities and there are no duplicates....

I only leave all this in case it helps someone else!

I did *not* know about putting it in the Finder tool bar and have done that - it will be useful. Thank you.

I thank you both!

Mar 9, 2019 6:51 PM in response to WestG

Perhaps if you explain what "The Mac won't let me move it back." means someone may have some ideas to help you.

When I tried that, I got this dialog:

I clicked on "Authenticate," and got this:

Not what I expected, so I clicked on "OK," and I found a duplicate of Disk Utility in Applications.

So now I had a Disk Utility in both Applications and Utilities. I successfully deleted the one in Applications, and the Disk Utility in Utilities remained.

What are you experiencing?

Mar 9, 2019 6:58 PM in response to WestG

Command Z is the way to undo the last command. Some instances like edits you can command Z your way back quite a few steps. Shift command Z of course takes you in the opposite direction.

Are you sure it is still not in your Utilities folder?

I had no issue testing the move, but it seemed to copy the DU not move it.

No harm if it is in the Application folder.

Does it launch successfully?

You can drag any app you want to the Finder tool bar if it is necessary, holding the command key—

moved Disk Utility by mistake on MacBook Pro (with 10.14.3 Mojave)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.