Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music - The request timed out - Cellular (iPhone)

Hi

I am having an issue where I am unable to play music over cellular, keep getting "the request timed out" message. I am able to search for music just fine but play/download fails with "the request time out" error message. I am however able to play/download music over wifi.

I have checked that music over cellular is enabled and have try resetting it as well.

Other things I tried are network settings reset, hard-reboot, soft reboot as well as sign out/in apple/icloud account.

Any help is appreciated

Posted on Mar 9, 2019 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 7:55 PM

update: I was able to get to the botom of this issues... it turns out that my company has requested that Our provider blocks “streaming” data usage which blocks access to app store, apple music and any app that facilitates video, audio streaming. It was done to better controll data usage aginst large employee population.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2019 7:55 PM in response to dude0412

update: I was able to get to the botom of this issues... it turns out that my company has requested that Our provider blocks “streaming” data usage which blocks access to app store, apple music and any app that facilitates video, audio streaming. It was done to better controll data usage aginst large employee population.

Mar 11, 2019 6:34 AM in response to dude0412

Hello dude0412,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're not able to play Apple Music content over a cellular data connection.

You've done some excellent troubleshooting so far. To clarify, when you signed out of the iCloud account as you mentioned, was that under Settings > [your name] > iTunes & App Store, or specifically under your iCloud settings? If you haven't signed out of the iTunes & App Store yet, I recommend giving that a try.

I also recommend updating to iOS 12.1.4, if you haven't already. You can check under Settings > General > About: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

This link has a few steps under the "If iCloud Music Library won't respond or times out" section that may be helpful as well: Get help with iCloud Music Library

I hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Mar 13, 2019 9:37 AM in response to dude0412

I was able to Resolve my issue by scrolling down in settings andSigning Out of "iTunes & App Stores"

(NOT My main Apple ID, iTunes & App Store at the top, which I had done previously)

When I signed back in, many of my Apple Music downloads were gone, but the App now allows me to DL over Cellular Data.

Hope this Helps

iPhone XR on Bell

Apple Music - The request timed out - Cellular (iPhone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.