Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music on iphone 12Mini with no SIM, wifi is connected

Apple Music does not work on my son's iPhone 12 Mini without a sim card. He is using it as a iPod. If I put my SIM in it, even with Airplane mode on, my family plan allows him in and the Browse button is avaliable. I remove my SIM card, the browse button dissapears and Apple Music displays "Cannot Connect". Again wifi is connected fine so it should not be a problem. Other Apps connect to the internet fine.

This seems like a bug in the OS related to Apple Music.

Can anyone confirm this? Any other ideas?

On my iPhone 11 pro Max. Apple Music works with and without the SIM card with no issue. This appears to just be the iPhone 12 Mini or this specific device.

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 8:10 AM

Update. The same thing happed with the Daughters latest gen iPod. "Cannot Conntect". I installed the latest OS and then when I opened Music it poped up with Stating she had access to my family plan and a button with Start Listening or something to that affect.

My son's iPhone was already on the latest iOS version. So that was not his issue. Hard reset did nothing. Removed Screen Time, did nothing. Signed out and back in to his account, did nothing. If I failed to mention under subscriptions on his phone does show he has the access to my Family Music sub, but Music does not recognize it unless the SIM is in.

I Converted my SIM to eSIM via my phone and put my now dissabled SIM card into his iPhone and Music works fine now.

This still seems like a bug with no SIM installed.

I am satisfied with this solution for now, but would hope that Apple will fix this issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2023 8:10 AM in response to Boshamp

Update. The same thing happed with the Daughters latest gen iPod. "Cannot Conntect". I installed the latest OS and then when I opened Music it poped up with Stating she had access to my family plan and a button with Start Listening or something to that affect.

My son's iPhone was already on the latest iOS version. So that was not his issue. Hard reset did nothing. Removed Screen Time, did nothing. Signed out and back in to his account, did nothing. If I failed to mention under subscriptions on his phone does show he has the access to my Family Music sub, but Music does not recognize it unless the SIM is in.

I Converted my SIM to eSIM via my phone and put my now dissabled SIM card into his iPhone and Music works fine now.

This still seems like a bug with no SIM installed.

I am satisfied with this solution for now, but would hope that Apple will fix this issue.

Apple Music on iphone 12Mini with no SIM, wifi is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.