Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing problem - connection failed

I am for some reason unable to access files on a shared mac. Normally I just go to my finder window, select the shared mac, and login with the primary user's login and I can get everything through the network. I can tell the login is accurate because when I intentionally use the wrong password it declines me. Because when I login correctly it just says "Connection Failed".

The only variable that is new here from the past when all things worked, is I'm on a new network (via Airport express as a router), but both machines are connected and visible.

When I reverse this process, and attempt connection from the MacBook Pro to my Mac Mini, it works fine! Why would the connection fail in only one direction?

I considered that maybe its that the MacBook Pro is using Mojave (10.14) and this Mac Mini is on El Capitan (10.11), except that this didn't change recently and it worked just fine before.

Mac mini, 10.11

Posted on Mar 11, 2019 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 11:31 AM

Hello jsunem,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to access files that are shared from a MacBook Pro on your network from your Mac mini, but you don't have this issue from the MacBook Pro to your Mac mini. To help with this, please go on your MacBook Pro to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options and turn off AFP and make sure SMB is enabled. Then test your issue again.

Set the protocol for file sharing on Mac

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2019 11:31 AM in response to jsunem

Hello jsunem,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to access files that are shared from a MacBook Pro on your network from your Mac mini, but you don't have this issue from the MacBook Pro to your Mac mini. To help with this, please go on your MacBook Pro to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing > Options and turn off AFP and make sure SMB is enabled. Then test your issue again.

Set the protocol for file sharing on Mac

Cheers!

File sharing problem - connection failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.