Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing portrait depth in Photos on MBP

I can't seem to to find the portrait depth slider on my portrait photos when editing on my MBP - the slider doesn't appear as described in help. What am I doing wrong?

Am using HS 10.13.6 and Photos 3.0 trying to edit photos saved to iCloud shot on an iPhone XS running iOS 12.1.4 - I see the bar on the same photos on my iPad and my iPhone but nothing on my MBP, which seems odd as it should be the best device to edit photos on. Am sure I've missed a step or some such but cannot fathom it - any ideas?

Thanks

Dublj

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 11, 2019 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2019 7:58 AM

The Help for Photos 3.0 on High Sierra and Photos 4.0 on Mojave are both not yet mentioning the depth slider.

You can only change the lighting - spotlight, contour light, etc. . The depth slider to change the focus is currently only available on the newest iPhones.

This is what I am seeing in the Photos Help: Change the lighting of a portrait in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

The depth slider is not mentioned:

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, double-click a portrait photo, then click Edit in the toolbar.
  2. Select a lighting effect.
  3. Portrait lighting effect choices.
    • Natural: Displays the portrait as it was originally taken.
    • Studio: Brightens facial features.
    • Contour: Applies dramatic directional lighting.
    • Stage: Applies spotlight stage lighting with a darkened background.
    • Stage mono: Changes a portrait to black and white with stage lighting.

Are you saying, that you are not even seeing the basic tools to change the lighting effect?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2019 7:58 AM in response to dublj

The Help for Photos 3.0 on High Sierra and Photos 4.0 on Mojave are both not yet mentioning the depth slider.

You can only change the lighting - spotlight, contour light, etc. . The depth slider to change the focus is currently only available on the newest iPhones.

This is what I am seeing in the Photos Help: Change the lighting of a portrait in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

The depth slider is not mentioned:

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, double-click a portrait photo, then click Edit in the toolbar.
  2. Select a lighting effect.
  3. Portrait lighting effect choices.
    • Natural: Displays the portrait as it was originally taken.
    • Studio: Brightens facial features.
    • Contour: Applies dramatic directional lighting.
    • Stage: Applies spotlight stage lighting with a darkened background.
    • Stage mono: Changes a portrait to black and white with stage lighting.

Are you saying, that you are not even seeing the basic tools to change the lighting effect?

Mar 12, 2019 9:09 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie, thanks for the feedback. Whilst you’re absolutely right in that I did confuse the depth slider with the lighting effect I don’t even see the portrait logo or the option to change the lighting on shots which are otherwise identified as portrait shots by the app itself (they have the

logo and are in the portraits album.) I assumed it was something to do with iCloud. Have you tested it yourself? Ie: go into a portrait shot as described in help? I just don’t see the slider to change the lighting effect anywhere.

Thanks

dublj

Mar 12, 2019 10:49 AM in response to léonie

One more thing - my iPhone is an iPhone X, not an iPhone XS like yours. Photos 3 came out, before your iPhone model has been released. Consider to upgrade to Photos 4.0 and Mojave. Mojave should support your nice, new iPhone model better, since the current version of Mojave with Photos 4.0 has been released after the XS came out.

Editing portrait depth in Photos on MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.