Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot edit protrait Photos in Mojave (or High Sierra)

Portrait photo taken with iPhone XS. When opened in Photos 4.0 (in Mojave 10.14.5) yes, I can see the Portrait symbol in the upper left corner. But when I click EDIT all the editing controls on screen right pop up except anything to do with portrait mode on screen bottom: like lighting or depth of field control --like in iOS, but as mentioned in this apple How To:https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/change-the-lighting-of-a-portrait-phta3a9f5c61/mac

I'm not using iCloud either. These pictures are full size originals IN the Photos 4 library.

When was this discontinued??? Why would it still be on an apple page under (Mojave or even High Sierra)? I have another computer running high Sierra and also cannot access this feature for the same photo.

I've tried creating a new Photos library to test it and same result.

Yes, I've tried Repairing the Photos library a few times to no avail.

Side issue: Last Import still shows in the sidebar. How do I get rid of it now that there's a new "Imports" ?

MacBook Pro 17", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 8, 2019 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 5:53 AM

I can edit my portrait mode photos in Photos on Mojave, no problem.

How are you transferring the photos to your mac? Are you downloading them from your iPhone with Image Capture? Are they converted to JPEG images during the download, or are they still HEIC files? The conversion to JPEG could be removing the depth map.

Did you edit the lighting on your iPhone and transferred an edited image?

In that case try, if the option "Revert to original" is available in Photos 4.0 in the edit window. Revert the edits, that have already been applied, then see, if this will bring back the portrait editing controls.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2019 5:53 AM in response to cesarfrommilwaukee

I can edit my portrait mode photos in Photos on Mojave, no problem.

How are you transferring the photos to your mac? Are you downloading them from your iPhone with Image Capture? Are they converted to JPEG images during the download, or are they still HEIC files? The conversion to JPEG could be removing the depth map.

Did you edit the lighting on your iPhone and transferred an edited image?

In that case try, if the option "Revert to original" is available in Photos 4.0 in the edit window. Revert the edits, that have already been applied, then see, if this will bring back the portrait editing controls.

Cannot edit protrait Photos in Mojave (or High Sierra)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.