Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Photos unable to edit Portrait Depth on iPhone 14 Pro photos

It looks like this might be a common problem whenever Apple releases a new phone, as I see people have had this issue in the past.

Although Photos on my M1 Mac mini and 14" MacBook Pro can see that a photo was taken with Portrait mode on my iPhone 14 Pro, it can't edit the depth of the photo or change the lighting, see attached.

I'm sure that Apple will fix this somewhen, which is why I'm putting this out there to notify them,

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 6:47 AM

I have the iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 16 installed. When I try to edit Portrait Mode photos on my MacBook Pro, the photos taken with ISO 16 installed don’t have the Portrait Mode depth slider or the lighting choices. I have Monterey 12.6 (latest version) installed on the Mac. They do have a Revert to Original button. When I click on that, I get the following message: “This photo is from a newer version of Photos. Reverting may have unexpected results.” If I go ahead and click on the the Revert button, I lose the blurred background. I still don’t have the Portrait Mode depth slider or the lighting choices. Back in Photos on my iPhone, the photo shows the new deep depth of field. When I click on the Edit button, the photo reverts to the f4.5 original shot taken with the iPhone. I can use the slider and bring back a very blurry background. On my Mac, the photo instantly becomes very blurry, too. I suspect this will be solved when the new OS for my Mac and my iPad (showing the same problem) come out.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 6:47 AM in response to ricjperry

I have the iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 16 installed. When I try to edit Portrait Mode photos on my MacBook Pro, the photos taken with ISO 16 installed don’t have the Portrait Mode depth slider or the lighting choices. I have Monterey 12.6 (latest version) installed on the Mac. They do have a Revert to Original button. When I click on that, I get the following message: “This photo is from a newer version of Photos. Reverting may have unexpected results.” If I go ahead and click on the the Revert button, I lose the blurred background. I still don’t have the Portrait Mode depth slider or the lighting choices. Back in Photos on my iPhone, the photo shows the new deep depth of field. When I click on the Edit button, the photo reverts to the f4.5 original shot taken with the iPhone. I can use the slider and bring back a very blurry background. On my Mac, the photo instantly becomes very blurry, too. I suspect this will be solved when the new OS for my Mac and my iPad (showing the same problem) come out.

Sep 19, 2022 1:20 AM in response to ricjperry

I can also edit the depth on my iPhone 13 Pro with no problems, both on 15.6 and 16.

The issue, (which I thought you were also having), is that Portrait photos I take after I upgraded to iOS 16 can no longer have their depth edited when I open them in Photos on my MacBook Pro. It looks just like your screenshots.

The Portrait photos that were taken when my phone was on 15.6 can have their depth edited when I open them in Photos on my MacBook Pro.

I have two portrait photos taken one day apart with the same phone, next to each other in the photo library on my MacBook. One taken with iOS 15.6 can have the depth edited. The next one after my phone was upgraded to 16 can't have the depth edited and looks just like your screenshots.

Sep 19, 2022 3:24 AM in response to ricjperry

Which system version is running on your Mac? The most recent Monterey version?

It might be a problem of the iPhone model. I can adjust the portrait mode pictures taken on iOS 16 with my iPhone 11 Pro Mac on my Mac without problems. But for some of the Portrait Mode photos I have to revert them to the original in Edit Mode, before Photos for Mac will show the portrait sliders.

Mac OS Photos unable to edit Portrait Depth on iPhone 14 Pro photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.