Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A way to search out a project that used a certain clip in FCPX?

I'm perplexed. I sorted through tons of footage and inserted tons of footage into a "mysterious" Project that I can' t find! Usually I thought FCPX 10.4.4 would re-open the last Project I was working on, but that isn't the case. I spent hours dropping footage into a timeline, then I "Rejected the clips" in the event.

So here's an idea I thought: Is there a way to search out ALL Projects in events that contain a certain clip?

So, for instance; I know for a fact I dropped clip C0032 into this missing project...so is there a way I can search across ALL EVENTS within my library to see if clip C0032 is used anywhere in any project?

Is this the right way to go about this? Is there a better strategy? I already looked inside all Events and don't see a Project long enough that would equal how many minutes my compiled project would be.

Please advise, this is quite frustrating. Thanks

Posted on Mar 14, 2019 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 3:59 AM

No, it’s not a compound clip. That’s a specific counter that has its own badge. If you opened a clip you opened the clip container, and it will appear as a normal clip, except the length or the filmstrip might look unusual depending on what you edited. The filmstrip might shows picons from other clips.

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 15, 2019 3:31 AM in response to Alchroma

As far as I know, index only searches over one project I wanted to find a way to search universally overall projects within a library at the same time.

The strange thing is, all projects should be listed under the master library but for some reason this project which house is the timeline is missing altogether which is very confusing because I specifically was fast-forwarding through the timeline to look at some of the edits I was assembling and I didn't delete it before I closed out the program. I swear gnomes live inside my computer sometimes

Mar 15, 2019 5:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Ok, Tom and everyone, it turned out I was inserting my clips into a COMPOUND CLIP and not a project timeline like I thought I was, which explains why I couldn't find my clips in any Project! Tom, you got my mind spinning with your advise, which led me to realize, I was so distracted with sifting through boring clips I wasn't paying attention where I was putting them. Either way, thanks for your help and walking me off the FCPX cliff. :) I still have no idea what "open clip" is or what the purpose is.

A way to search out a project that used a certain clip in FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.