Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini 2018 audio production

Pre Sales Question:

Is the new 2018 mac mini powerful enough for proffesional audio production ( to run Logic Pro X, Studio One Pro, etc), if configured: i7, 32GB ram, external Thunderbolt 3 Lacie 2TB SSD, 256GB internal SSD?

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 10:36 AM

That's what the specs say, no reason to doubt it. As for Intel 630, it is the latest generation, consequently more powerful than the discontinued second-generation (2011) HD 3000. The Mac mini does not offer discrete graphics i.e. a built-in graphics card, however the software specs do not mandate it. As long as you don't plan on expanding to video-editing, lack of a graphics card should not be an issue.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2019 10:36 AM in response to Nelsoncolt

That's what the specs say, no reason to doubt it. As for Intel 630, it is the latest generation, consequently more powerful than the discontinued second-generation (2011) HD 3000. The Mac mini does not offer discrete graphics i.e. a built-in graphics card, however the software specs do not mandate it. As long as you don't plan on expanding to video-editing, lack of a graphics card should not be an issue.

Mar 15, 2019 10:12 AM in response to Nelsoncolt

• Thank you! I forgot to include having affects on each channel, and recording at a higher resolution (96k), but for the most part it would be virtual instruments, with the only real audio being guitars and vocals....also, is the included graphics processor capable (Specs say OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later) and the mac mini comes with Intel UHD Graphics 630.....is this still a yes? 😁

Mar 16, 2019 4:03 AM in response to Nelsoncolt

Being able to perform the tasks required will likely not be an issue.

What may be an issue is noise from the cooling fan for a studio/mastering

environment. There have been some complaints in previous Mini versions

by those using them in studio environments about the noise generated

when the processing goes full max. Whether that would be an issue on

the new Mini, I am not sure.

Mar 16, 2019 6:37 AM in response to woodmeister50

One of the boasts of the new mini when it was introduced by Apple is its much-improved fan and related heat handling which it achieves with bigger vents, bigger fan and associated improved circulation of air. The result is an extremely silent machine, something I can personally attest to, and is also proven by lack of any (?) complaints in that regard on this board.

Mar 17, 2019 8:52 AM in response to woodmeister50

Actually yes. I need to record, edit, mix, master and then convert to .wav, .mp3, .mp4...etc. I run my own home recording studio and the goal is to use Logic Pro X or Studio One Pro to record/produce my own country music for sale on itunes and in CD format. That’s why I was asking if the mac mini configured as: i7, 32GB ram, external Thunderbolt 3 Lacie 2TB SSD, 512GB internal SSD would be up to this task. So? 🤠

mac mini 2018 audio production

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.