Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Mini - but how much RAM?

I am considering buying a Mac Mini (late 2018) for audio production and I am wondering how much RAM to put in it.

Will I be able to run more audio processing plugins with more RAM? My gut feeling is "no", but how little is then recommended? I am thinking the fastest i7 option will give me more plugin (?) but how about RAM?

And BTW is RAM user-upgradable in the new 2018 Mac Mini's?

Posted on Nov 2, 2018 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2018 12:10 AM

Allan, the RAM on the new 2018 Mac Mini is user upgradeable. 2 directly accessible SoDimm slots.

2018 Mac mini has User Upgradable RAM - The Mac Observer

As to the amount, normally 16GB is enough for most.

6 replies

Nov 3, 2018 8:58 AM in response to Phil0124

Judging from the pictures I've seen, it seems that more than the round base needs to come off. I'm not sure how one would release those chips given the space one has to work in. This would make it either an in-warranty, in-store upgrade or an out-of-warranty, user upgrade.

An Apple spokesperson: "While we don't consider the memory directly end-user accessible, service providers can access the internals of the Mac mini to upgrade the memory."New 2018 Mac mini: Pro machine in a tiny, upgradeable package | ZDNet

Nov 4, 2018 4:16 AM in response to PeterJuulKristensen

Until OWC or iFixit come out with a full teardown, it does appear

that RAM replacement my be akin to replacing drives in the older

Minis by removing a few screws and sliding things out a bit, but without

all the connector removals. Of course from the photos it looks like

you will need the special screwdriver sets.

It certainly won't be anything very difficult if AASP techs can quickly

swap them.

New Mac Mini - but how much RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.