Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iPad Pro continuously disconnects from Win7 laptop

Hello,

Been a while since I've had to use the forums......I am laughing at my chosen username....

Anyways...

TL;DR: Is it expected that a 3rd Gen iPad Pro (2018) should work using a USB-A to USB-C cable on a USB 3.0 port with no issues?

Long version:

I bought a 2018 iPad Pro 256GB, WiFi-only last week. I was not really aware of the USB-C connections required. I have a Windows Laptop that is about 4 years old, which does not have USB-C. I purchased an Amazon-Basics USB-A to USB-C cable to use with iTunes for syncing and back-up (since WiFi syncing is obnoxiously slow).

The iPad only stays connected for anywhere from 15 seconds to a couple minutes and then disconnects from iTunes. I had to do a software update after purchase, and the iPad disconnected in the middle of an update, bricking the unit. Luckily, after several more attempts, I was able to keep it connected long enough for it to restore itself, and it is functional again. However, the disconnect issue still persists. The charge indicator stays showing on the iPad as if it is receiving power from the laptop USB.

Today, I purchased a Belkin USB-A to USB-C 3.1 cable from the local Apple Store. I thought the issue was resolved, as it stayed connected for about 5-10 minutes during a sync, but shortly after it disconnected. After unplugging and replugging the cable a few times, the disconnect within 15 sec to 2 minutes issue is back. The iPad is the only device that has this issue. I have a USB 3.0 external hard drive that I keep my iTunes library on, and am currently in the middle of downloading 8 seasons of an HD TV show and it has been downloading for hours with no problems. My iPhone 8 stays connected with no issues.

The iPad doesn't just remove itself from iTunes, but also disappears from Windows Explorer (I took a picture on the iPad to get the pictures folder to show up in Win Explorer so I could watch if it just disconnects from iTunes as well as Windows).

I am reading online that a USB 3.1 cable should be backwards compatible with a USB 3.0 port. Should the new iPads be expected to work with no issues on a standard USB 3.0 port with the Apple recommended A->C cable? Is my new iPad possibly defective?

Thanks.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 1:32 PM

I would recommend keeping your iTunes library on your personal computer to begin with. If you ever leave this company, you won't have to move anything anywhere. See if you can maintain a stable connection on your Windows 10 system at home. Hopefully, you can. If you can't, let us know. Good luck.

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 15, 2019 1:26 PM in response to DumbfoundedByiTunes

Hope you didn't think I was being critical of your hardware. Was just wondering (in print) if a computer with such outdated software, could be the issue. The version of iTunes is Fine and your iPad is on the most current version. I understand you're using a company system, I do too at work. But I have my own computers at home. To see if you have an issue with your iPad or your work computer, I'd recommend connecting your iPad to anyone's computer you may know, with more modern software and see if the iPad keeps a connection without disconnecting. If it does, you know it's not your iPad.

Mar 15, 2019 2:26 PM in response to DumbfoundedByiTunes

I didn't take it that way. I'm critical of my own hardware. This computer is getting old.
I have a small personal computer at home with Win10 that I don't use for anything. I can transfer my library over to there and see what happens.

I can think of 2 possibilities, USB ports on the laptop are faulty (lose or something). My personal laptop USB 2.0 ports loses connection (to USB mouse) every now and then. There is nothing wrong with Windows 7 but definitely try it with your home PC. I'm not sure if Apple supports iTunes library stored on an external storage. That could be another possibility. Less likely but possible.

Btw you are very brave and lucky too. I would never update iOS with an unstable connection.

Mar 15, 2019 8:07 PM in response to ShagCA

My TV series finished downloading about 4 hours ago, so I took my external HDD with my library and hooked it up to my Win10 PC, Shift-Opened iTunes to force the library selection to the HDD, and plugged in the iPad. I left the house for a while and came back and it is still connected; its been about 3 hours now...

This is semi-unfortunate, as I liked my library being portable as I travel a lot for work and sometimes needed to re-sync new stuff to watch while I am away, but now that I have larger storage space on the iPad, this is less of an issue and I guess I'm not totally hurt by only being able to sync when I'm home (not all my stuff is in the cloud)...

I doubt it is my USB ports on my laptop, because as I said earlier, the iPad is the only thing that disconnects. HDDs (both 3.0 and 2.0), phones, Apple watches, etc etc stay connected indefinitely. Maybe it is Win7, or maybe I'm just unlucky that something funky is going on with my particular iPad and laptop combo...

With regards to iTunes supporting external libraries, I have had my library on an ever-growing external HDD for years and it works flawlessly. The benefits are that I don't have to copy/download/restore all of the files when moving to a new computer. You just shift-open iTunes and select the library XML, authorize the computer, and off you go. You just have to make sure the HDD is plugged in before opening iTunes, or it will yell at you. Whether or not Apple would "officially" support this when it comes to troubleshooting, I don't know, but I've never had an issue doing it this way.

Brand new iPad Pro continuously disconnects from Win7 laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.