Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2018 + Apple Cinema Display (DVI)

Has anyone been able to get an Apple Cinema Display (A1081) working with one of the latest MacBook Pros (2018)? I've bought a few adapters, but nothing has worked so far. I've seen claims of a few daisy chains (like T3 to T2, T2 to mDisplayport, mDisplayport to Displayport, Displayport to DVI) that might work. I called AppleCare and they suggested I go to Best Buy and ask them, so not much insight there. Has anyone successfully made this work? The closest I've gotten so far is a CableCreation adapter, but the display constantly turns on and off (4 seconds on, 4 seconds off, kind of thing). Any insights most appreciated!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 15, 2019 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 7:51 AM

So, among many that do not work, I found a simple adapter that works for the 20" Apple Cinema Display!

For anyone else that might need this, the adapter is made by BENFEI: USB Type C (Thunderbolt 3) to DVI Adapter, USB 3.1 (USB-C) to DVI-D Adapter Male to Female Converter Compatible for Apple MacBook (2015, 2016, 2017).

Amazon: link

I hope this helps someone else!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2019 7:51 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So, among many that do not work, I found a simple adapter that works for the 20" Apple Cinema Display!

For anyone else that might need this, the adapter is made by BENFEI: USB Type C (Thunderbolt 3) to DVI Adapter, USB 3.1 (USB-C) to DVI-D Adapter Male to Female Converter Compatible for Apple MacBook (2015, 2016, 2017).

Amazon: link

I hope this helps someone else!

Mar 15, 2019 7:39 PM in response to Jamaysa

ThunderBolt-3 to Thunderbolt-2 adapter specifically disclaims producing a usable display data stream, so that is a dead-end.

Users have had good luck with the Apple 30-in Cinema Display by using a third-party Mini DisplayPort adapter [actually an extractor] (rated for "4K") connected to an Apple Dual-Link DVI adapter, (US$100) and powering it with an iPad charger on the USB pigtail. This is the extremely rare case when you get away with "stacking" adapters, because you're extracting Mini DisplayPort from ThunderBolt-3 rather than converting to it.

Your 20-in display (1680x1050) is less than 1920 wide, so it does not need Dual-Link. It should work with a simple Mini DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI adapter. MonoPrice sells an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter for under US$12.

Full Size DisplayPort could be substituted as well, as it is just a re-wire, not a conversion.

Mar 15, 2019 10:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant. I was using a simple Mini DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI adapter on my previous MacBook Pro (pre Thunderbolt-3). And yes, I understand a full size DisplayPort to DVI is a passive connector, but before I go and buy another few connectors - in this case a Thunderbolt-3 to DisplayPort + DisplayPort to DVI --OR-- Thunderbolt-3 to Mini DisplayPort + Mini DisplayPort to DVI - I was hoping someone might confirm they have already made it work? A lot of folks seem to think it won't work at all. I appreciate your insight and belief that it will!

Mar 16, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks. I'm still struggling, since this is a 20" model (1680 x 1050). The 23" models (1920 x 1200) and the 30" models seem to be having some success, as you point out. The issue I am having with the 20" model (pattern of 0.5 secs on, 2 secs off, repeat cycle) was fixed by some folks using older MacBook Pros by turning off the remote power/brightness options in Systems > Display > Options, which is no longer available in Mojave OS. This is not a Display issue, since it is working just fine with other Macs/PCs right now. It's simply the new MacBook Pro connection that is not working. I may just have to buy another 3-4 adapters and see if one miraculously works...

MacBook Pro 2018 + Apple Cinema Display (DVI)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.