Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Doesn't Connect Properly to Cinema Display Monitor

It flickers and cuts out regularly. I am using Apple certified adaptors for the old magsafe & mini display DV cables. This occurs on both of my Cinema Display monitors.

The fact is, this setup works GREAT on any intel chip, but for M1 & M2, it seems we will all be forced to purchase brand new Digital Display monitors. The beautiful 27" Cinema Display no longer functions with the M1 or M2 chip set.

They don't seem to have any fix for this in sight. I'm beginning to suspect it's simply planned obsolescence. For now, i'm planning to sell my fancy new M1 14" and purchase a heavily upgraded Intel Mac. This seems the only solution just now in March of 2023. I have heard that downgrading to Monterrey can fix the issue, but I am unable to do this on my MacBook, as it was released after Monterrey.

Hoping for a recall or an OS update or a hack before i'm forced to sell the new MacBook. Thanks for any assistance!

I hope i'm wrong and they eventually

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 5:47 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 25, 2023 10:25 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sure! I have two 27" Apple Cinema Displays (one at home and one at the office) — each with the typical MagSafe & MiniDV cords. I purchased the genuine Apple connectors for each (going to USB-C directly into the laptop).

One thing I have noticed is it behaves a little bit differently depending on which USB-C slots I use (Are some of them powered differently? I guess that would be good information...)

So, I have it connected properly using the monitor cables and Apple USB-C adaptors. I turned off Night Shift, True Tone and all that. It seems like I can get 10 minutes at a time without the screen cutting out, but I'd LOVE to get things running as smoothly as the Intel MacBook!

With the Intel 13" I had precisely the same setup for over a year. No issues at all.

Mar 26, 2023 5:11 AM in response to jahshwa

The Apple Cinema Display LED (27-Inch) is a Mini DisplayPort display with a resolution of 2560 by 1440.

Apple does not make or sell an adapter to Mini DisplayPort.

Apple sells the Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter, but that supports ONLY Thunderbolt displays, no others even if you add additional adapters.

what model-year MacBook Pro 13-in Intel?

M1 Doesn't Connect Properly to Cinema Display Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.