Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac M1 Mini not working with Thunderbolt 27" monitor

I am trying to use an Apple 27" Thunderbolt display with a new M1 Mini using an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt dongle. The display was working fine on my 2013 Mac Pro and works with my new (4 USB-C) MacPro laptop but NOTHING using either port on the M1 Mini. Either port on the Mini works fine with the new (from Apple) LG 5K display. The T'bolt display cannot use HMDI input so unless there is a dongle for that? The HMDI port on the mini has been checked using a TV, no problem.

So, Mini ports are good, Thunderbolt display is good, USB0C to T'bolt dongle works. Both the Mini and Laptop are current with BigSur.

The Mini worked with a T'bolt display at the local Apple store using the Apple dongle with three outputs. Firmware on the display is latest.

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 11:12 AM

That Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter does not support the Apple Thunderbolt Display or Mini DisplayPort Displays.

see the Product Information Note at > https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MMEL2AM/A

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 24, 2021 11:36 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you for the quick reply..but. The adapter worked from my Mini to a Thunderbolt (2? 3?) display in the Apple store and your product description link says:

In addition, it can be used to connect Thunderbolt-enabled displays — such as the Apple Thunderbolt Display and LG Thunderbolt 2 displays — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac. However, using this adapter with an Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a power source, because the display does not provide power through the adapter.

I have been to the local store Genius Bar and on the phone multiple times with Apple, everyone says it SHOULD work???

The Mini worked at the Genius Bar using a different Apple dongle, one with three outputs and a Thunderbolt monitor...is that all that is necessary?

Oct 24, 2021 11:36 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote:

That Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter does not support the Apple Thunderbolt Display...

Totally incorrect. I was using the exact adapter to connect my 27" Thunderbolt Display to my M1 MacBook Air since I got it late November 2020 up until 2 months ago when Iit was replaced by a new LG 4K display. As a matter of fact, directly from the page you cited:

"In addition, it can be used to connect Thunderbolt-enabled displays — such as the Apple Thunderbolt Display and LG Thunderbolt 2 displays — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac."

Oct 24, 2021 11:49 AM in response to mac in smyrna

BTW, I have been a Mac user since the original 64K Macintosh and have five other Macs in the house. My new MacPro laptop has the same version of BigSur and works perfectly with the T'bolt monitor through the dongle.

I am disappointed with Apple no end.....the Genius bar suggested I schlep both the mini and my T'bolt display into the store so they could "test" it (interesting going through the mall hugging a 27 inch display) a later call asked me to move the mini and display into another room in the house in case there was "interference". (I guess my new apple speaker has to go..it's the only other thing in the room except the lights!)

Mac M1 Mini not working with Thunderbolt 27" monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.