Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CMD TAB doesn't move between apps in different spaces

I used to be able to used CMD + TAB to move between different open applications that were on different spaces but it no longer works. Control - arrow works to move between different spaces, but I find that cumbersome to use when I have multiple spaces open and have to cycle past a few screens to get to the space I want. I haven't updated for a while, but I know this used to work for me just fine, and I'm sure it still works on my iMac. I'm on macOS Mojave version 10.14.2.

There was a post on this back in Jan 2018 but it didn't seem to get resolved. Has anyone had this problem and been able to solve it?

Thanks

Rachel

Posted on Mar 18, 2019 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2019 7:12 PM

This is a bit embarrassing. In the frustration of not being able to flick between the spaces as I used to be able to do, I told my husband about it. I've been trying to sort this out myself as he can get a bit fed-up with me asking so many computer related questions. Anyway, he suggested I restart it to see if that helped. It's been a while since I'd restarted it, and it's started working normally again. So I think updating to Version 10.14.3 would have worked too, but probably just because it would have required my macbook to be restarted. Thank you so much for your time.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2019 7:12 PM in response to dialabrain

This is a bit embarrassing. In the frustration of not being able to flick between the spaces as I used to be able to do, I told my husband about it. I've been trying to sort this out myself as he can get a bit fed-up with me asking so many computer related questions. Anyway, he suggested I restart it to see if that helped. It's been a while since I'd restarted it, and it's started working normally again. So I think updating to Version 10.14.3 would have worked too, but probably just because it would have required my macbook to be restarted. Thank you so much for your time.

Mar 20, 2019 6:58 PM in response to RMQ_1

I'm on macOS Mojave version 10.14.2.
I used to be able to just cycle through all the open apps with the CMD tab and finish on the one I'd want to switch to, regardless of whether it's in a different space or not (so technically not really forward or back just rotating through the open apps).

Understood. command tab will open the HUD, the question is does the tilde key work to go backwards.

This is all in an effort to narrow down what is not working.

Did you try to simplify back down to basics and see if you can restore the function? ie one desktop, couple full screen apps.

If you have lost all function, I would recommend updating your software—here:

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.3 Combo Update - Apple Support

The combo update is more comprehensive compared to the delta updates, and known to sort hard to explain anomalies like yours.

Mar 20, 2019 6:46 PM in response to leroydouglas

I used to be able to just cycle through all the open apps with the CMD tab and finish on the one I'd want to switch to, regardless of whether it's in a different space or not (so technically not really forward or back just rotating through the open apps).

It's totally still working on my iMac and that's Mojave 10.14 so perhaps it's a 10.14.2 issue. Another difference I've noticed is that if I download a file and I have the open of right clicking and going "show in finder" it won't then switch to the other space where the finder window is. I have to control + arrow to get to that finder window. It's a real pain.

CMD TAB doesn't move between apps in different spaces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.