Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Time lapse loading forever

I have taken time lapses a few times on my iPhone XR and so far the time lapse has been stuck on loading after I have completed the time lapse. This has happened twice now out of the few times I have used it.

Now I cannot trust the time lapse feature as I lose all the footage because it can’t be used. Is there a fix for this?

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2019 11:13 AM

Same issue here, taking time lapses intermittently results in a video which stays on the “Loading” screen forever (as in sample screenshot from OP).

• iPhone XR
  • iOS 12.2
  • seems to happen more often on longer time lapses

Apple support ran hardware diagnostics on my phone which were fine, next step suggested a factory restore and see if it still happens. If it does, next step would be an Apple Store appointment. If it doesn’t, I set up my phone as new.

I haven’t done this yet since it is a huge time sink and pain in my a#%^, still looking for a solution online. But in the 7 months I’ve had this XR the only usable time lapses have been ones where I’m doing a test to see if it will ever work. Every time I try to take a “real” one, it has failed me.

156 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2019 11:13 AM in response to Destineo

Same issue here, taking time lapses intermittently results in a video which stays on the “Loading” screen forever (as in sample screenshot from OP).

• iPhone XR
  • iOS 12.2
  • seems to happen more often on longer time lapses

Apple support ran hardware diagnostics on my phone which were fine, next step suggested a factory restore and see if it still happens. If it does, next step would be an Apple Store appointment. If it doesn’t, I set up my phone as new.

I haven’t done this yet since it is a huge time sink and pain in my a#%^, still looking for a solution online. But in the 7 months I’ve had this XR the only usable time lapses have been ones where I’m doing a test to see if it will ever work. Every time I try to take a “real” one, it has failed me.

Mar 20, 2019 6:42 AM in response to Destineo

Hi Destineo,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're running into an issue using the Time Lapse feature.

Can you provide some detail about what happens when you say it's stuck on loading?

How long is the time lapse video you've recorded? Does it seem to work as expected if you take a short time lapse video?

When you say the footage can't be used, are you getting an error of any kind?

Are you using iCloud Photos?

The answers to these questions will help work out what might be happening. As a starting point, try to Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to see if this helps. Ensuring your software is updated to iOS 12.1.4 is a great idea as well: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care.

Mar 20, 2019 6:57 AM in response to raina_b22

Hi!

Thanks for replying.

For the timelapse getting stuck, it seems to happen randomly. Most of the time when I use the time lapse function is hit record, then after I’m done I hit stop. Then I go to photos and the time lapse will load (compile) and a time lapse is created. However a few times the time lapse just got stuck loading and nothing can be done, see the image below for reference.

The timelapse seems to be stuck in this state.

Yes I am using iCloud photos.

Having trust issues with the time lapse function now, would be great if there’s a solution!

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2019 1:45 AM in response to Destineo

i have this issue as well, i got my XR in December 2018 and i took a long timelapse that was about maybe 20 minutes and it converted to a video just fine! but ever since updating to 12.1 and up i am never able to create timelapse anymore without it continuly “loading” ive had my phone open for up to almost an hour letting it load and it never loaded!!! i also have an XR with 256GB but, it used to work just fine before i updated my phone, hoping the 13IOS update fixes this because its HIGHLY frustrating and disappointing because all the footage is lost! this has happened many more times but ive deleted them, i tried again today in hopes that it might be fixed but it still is unresolved.

Dec 1, 2019 4:35 AM in response to bas167

This is terrible. Anytime I take time lapses of more than 2 or 3 minutes which equals probably a few seconds of actual footage the loop of death appears and I’ve essentially lost that recording.

im going to try and download a time lapse app instead since I’ve lost trust.

this is my 3 time lapse lost over the last 4 months through various OS updates.

iPhone XR - iOS 13.2.3

Jan 1, 2020 9:07 AM in response to Samo_100

I’m having same problem.

First sunrise of 2020 time lapse which is amazing and it won’t play.

I can drag it in edit mode to see it but it won’t play.

Restarted iPhone 11Pro Max and it didn’t help.

I guess I have features on my expensive smartphone that I can’t use?

it says it’s a 21:00 movie which was like real time and not time lapse.

I know I set it to time lapse.

Feb 29, 2020 9:50 PM in response to erichen

such a joke. Here all this work and marketing went into a camera yet you can’t even shoot timelapses of any real length without the high risk of it not being able to save. I’ve lost pure gold of documenting art projects from beginning to end. Nothing worse then framing a shot, spending a few hours on creating your piece and then boom. Apple ate your content in its never ending loading spiral. It’s 2020 y’all get it together. At least tell us how low of resolution we have to set our phones to in order to capture time lapses.

Help! Time lapse loading forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.