Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sim Not Supported

In January 2019 i purchased an AT&T Unlocked iPhone XS from my local Walmart. After purchasing i’ve tried activating my phone with both Softbank and AU in Okinawa, Japan, both told me that my phone was locked to a carrier. I called apple and they told me to restore my iPhone from iTunes, so i did. They also stated that in the system my phone says unlocked. I purchased a sim card from Tmobile and had it shipped out here and we called and activated the card along with my phone and still every time i insert a sim card my phone shows the picture below. Someone please help, did i just waste $1300 on a phone i can’t use??

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 3:40 AM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2019 6:31 PM in response to kaila01

when i first turned the phone on i inserted a straight talk sim card, but i’ve never activated the phone. i contacted straight talk and they said the phone isn’t locked to them. apple said that in their system is says unlocked. who do i contact? how do i find out who it’s locked to?

If it was not activated, then it has not yet locked to any carrier.

However, iPhones bought from the likes of Walmart, Bestbuy etc... in the U.S. will only activate with a U.S. sim card, any U.S. sim card. At which point they will lock to whichever carrier was used for activation.

If you activated the iPhone with the T-Mobile sim, then its now locked to T-Mobile. T-Mobile requires you have their service for 40 days before they will unlock the iPhone.

Unlock your T-Mobile wireless device

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

Sim Not Supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.