Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Mojave, 10.14.3. Cannot rename Folder Tags

My Mac won't let me rename folder tags. It offers the option when right-clicking, but won't highlight the existing name. When I hit "Enter", it does nothing. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2019 6:01 AM

You rename Finder tags in Finder Preferences : Tags panel by double-clicking the tag name and changing it there. Then, right-click on the folder with the old tag name, and select Tags… from the secondary menu. Click behind the old tag badge, and then back-space to remove the old tag name. Select the new tag name from the available list in this window, and then press return to set that new tag on the folder.

This process should be easier, but isn't.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2019 6:01 AM in response to Fiberguy757

You rename Finder tags in Finder Preferences : Tags panel by double-clicking the tag name and changing it there. Then, right-click on the folder with the old tag name, and select Tags… from the secondary menu. Click behind the old tag badge, and then back-space to remove the old tag name. Select the new tag name from the available list in this window, and then press return to set that new tag on the folder.

This process should be easier, but isn't.

Mar 19, 2019 5:58 AM in response to Fiberguy757

1. See if relaunching the Finder fixes it. Press the option key then right/control click on the Finder icon in the Dock, choose "Relaunch".
  2. See if it works when logged into a different user account. If so, you probably need to create a new Finder .plist. Delete
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

You will have to reset your Finder settings.

MacOS Mojave, 10.14.3. Cannot rename Folder Tags

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.