Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil battery drain

My newly purchased apple pencil was 100% charged last night when i turned off my bluetooth in my iPad. When i used it this afternoon, i saw the battery at 87% level. Is this normal?

Posted on Mar 21, 2019 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2019 1:11 PM

Jsanedrin, my experience is that the Pencil doesn’t significantly deplete if I “forget this device” in Bluetooth settings. By which I mean, maybe it depletes some, but not to the point I can’t use it for a little while next time I do use it. That’s acceptable to me because I don’t use the pencil much.

9 replies

Mar 21, 2019 7:08 AM in response to jsanedrin

Was the battery removed from the charging port on the iPad? If it was not getting a continuous charge, what you're seeing wouldn't be unusual at all. The battery in an Apple Pencil is teeny tiny and can lose its charge quickly. When not in use, my Apple Pencil is attached to the side of my iPad at all times.

On a side note, why did you turn off Bluetooth on your iPad to begin with. There's really very little to no reason to ever turn off Bluetooth.

Apr 5, 2019 6:56 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Actually, he had a good idea turning off Bluetooth, because if you don’t do something, the iPad will drain the Pencil battery all the way down. Very annoying that the Pencil doesn’t sleep, and you can’t “disconnect” it in Settings like you can other Bluetooth devices e.g. Magic Keyboard...you can only Forget This Device or turn off Bluetooth. (I should clarify that my experience is with v1 Pencil.)

I do the former, but I would expect the latter to work also, hence his question which I find to be logical. But I agree that that level of discharge could just be decay from time since the battery is so small.

Apr 7, 2019 6:36 AM in response to jsanedrin

You're missing the point. The Apple Pencil has to be charged all the time. This is why Apple changed the design of the Pencil 2. Because Pencil 2 remains attached to the iPad on the side of the iPad via magnet, it keeps charged. The battery in either pencil is tiny. Whether it's connected via Bluetooth or not connected via Bluetooth, when not plugged in, the battery will lose its charge and fairly quickly.

Perhaps a better solution for you would be to purchase a charging stand for your Apple Pencil. You can keep your pencil charged at all times, never having to worry about plugging it into your iPad to charge.

Here's an example that's very reasonably priced: https://www.amazon.com/TechMatte-Charging-Stand-Pencil-Built/dp/B01FEYA61Y/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2ICFOS8RL1UQ3&keywords=apple+pencil+charger&qid=1554644122&s=gateway&sprefix=apple+pencil%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-6

Apple pencil battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.