Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are the Boot Camp Drivers?

I have a MacBook Pro, 15 inch, 2018, with 32Gb RAM and a 2Tb SSD, running MacOS Mojave, 10.14.3.

I need to run Boot Camp for a specific Windows 10 application that will not run under Parallels or Fusion.

After Quitting all MacOS program which I can identify as running, I bring up the Boot Camp Assistant.

When I run Boot Camp Assistant, I configure the partition for 200Gb after downloading the current Windows 10 ISO file for which I have the appropriate activation code.

The installation appears to run in the normal manner, after it installs it goes into the Boot Camp installation program for what I have assumed are the appropriate drivers for this machine from Apple which were downloaded earlier in the Boot Camp installation process.

After several minutes with the Boot Camp installation in Windows 10 and then rebooting, it appears that the drivers for one or more components of the my MacBook Pro hardware are not present, based on the following problems:

1. I am unable to connect to an external monitor through a thunderbolt port which works fine in MacOS.
  2. None of the Windows 10 typical screen settings appear to function for the Macbook Pro screen, although I can see the default screen without difficulty.
  3. Windows will not recognize the Apple SuperDrive through the appropriate USB to Thunderbolt adapter. Again, works fine in MacOS with same adapter.
  4. I am unable to connect a USB drive through a Thunderbolt => USB adapter that works fine in MacOS.
  5. When troubleshooting the problem through the Apple support web site, I attempted to locate the "OSXRESERVED" drive, nowhere does it appear, nor does the BootCamp folder. There is no "D:" drive on my installed Windows 10 installation, and no mechanism for loading these drivers manually since I am unable to download them through MacOS, and no ability to read a jump drive through the Windows 10 installation since it cannot read a jump drive or a DVD.

My presumption is that the MacBook Pro 2018 drivers have not installed appropriately, but I am at a dead end on how to get them. I erased the installation and did a reinstall with the same result.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 11:44 AM

Loner T,

Thank you so much for your patience and your help.

I went to bed last pm and church this am, so just now getting back to it. I have made progress. The BCA problem, as usual, was a dumb user. I did not see the menu across the top, so focused on the main window where the BCA some editions ago used to have all of the options. I was able to download the drivers to a jump drive, but that did not solve the problems.

I found that if I let the installed drivers run without the jump drive, that there was no connectivity, and no external video, and no way to resolve the problem. So I reinstalled Win 10 Pro (for the fifth time!) and this time did not allow the default driver install to run, instead running the driver installation from my jump drive after finding that the connectivity was present prior to the default drivers installation. So I am up and running, except that neither my Apple SuperDrive nor a third party DVD player are recognized. Both work fine in MacOS.

I guess that is progress, and I appreciate your perserverance with me. I will call Apple to try to determine why the SuperDrive isn't functional in Windows 10 Pro in Boot Camp.

Thanks!

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T,

I went to bed last pm and church this am, so just now getting back to it. I have made progress. The BCA problem, as usual, was a dumb user. I did not see the menu across the top, so focused on the main window where the BCA some editions ago used to have all of the options. I was able to download the drivers to a jump drive, but that did not solve the problems.

I found that if I let the installed drivers run without the jump drive, that there was no connectivity, and no external video, and no way to resolve the problem. So I reinstalled Win 10 Pro (for the fifth time!) and this time did not allow the default driver install to run, instead running the driver installation from my jump drive after finding that the connectivity was present prior to the default drivers installation. So I am up and running, except that neither my Apple SuperDrive nor a third party DVD player are recognized. Both work fine in MacOS.

I guess that is progress, and I appreciate your perserverance with me. I will call Apple to try to determine why the SuperDrive isn't functional in Windows 10 Pro in Boot Camp.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2019 7:36 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

I updated the post with a screen shot of the Action Menu.

The problem with the jump drive is not a formatting problem. The FAT formatted jump drive (and the SuperDrive) are not recognized when connected to the thunderbolt connector through an apple TB3 => USB adapter. It is not a formatting issue.

What type of a USB drive are you using? I use a SanDisk USB2, and use USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple to connect a standard USB Type A device.

Mar 23, 2019 7:21 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

Under Download the support software for Windows 10 section, in step 3, the link has...

In the Boot Camp Assistant window, look for a checkbox to download the latest Windows support software from Apple. If you see the checkbox, make sure that it’s selected. Then deselect all other checkboxes and click Continue. If you don’t see the checkbox, choose Action > Download Windows Support Software from the menu bar.

If you are in Mojave, and are unable to format the USB as FAT, it can be done using a Terminal command.

Mar 23, 2019 6:44 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

As I stated in my original post, I have consulted this help source, and it does not correlate with my MacBook Pro 2018 running MacOS 10.14.3.

When I launch the Boot Camp Assistant within MacOS 10.14.3, the referenced screen for downloading drivers is never available, rather it goes directly to the option to remove the Boot Camp partition. I am never presented with the option to download the drivers as pictured in the help screen.

I am unable to read or write a jump drive in the Boot Camp Windows 10 installation, so it is a somewhat moot point as to whether I can download the drivers to a jump drive in MacOS.

After having reinstalled Boot Camp and Windows 10 Pro three times, I am receiving quite consistent outcomes.

It still appears to me that the drivers are not being installed properly for some reason, and that I have no ability to download the drivers.

Thanks....

Mar 23, 2019 7:27 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you again for taking the time.

I have read the support section to which you refer, and it does not appear in my Boot Camp Assistant as described in the support document. The only option in Boot Camp Assistant (after performing the Win 10 Pro installation) which is presented is the removal of the partition.

The problem with the jump drive is not a formatting problem. The FAT formatted jump drive (and the SuperDrive) are not recognized when connected to the thunderbolt connector through an apple TB3 => USB adapter. It is not a formatting issue.

Thanks...

Mar 24, 2019 12:02 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

Glad to see progress.

I went to bed last pm and church this am, so just now getting back to it.

He is The MAN. It helps to seek HIS guidance. 😇

I have made progress. The BCA problem, as usual, was a dumb user. I did not see the menu across the top, so focused on the main window where the BCA some editions ago used to have all of the options. I was able to download the drivers to a jump drive, but that did not solve the problems.

I would have been very surprised (and ready to curse Apple engineers), if they had messed up the menu.

So I am up and running, except that neither my Apple SuperDrive nor a third party DVD player are recognized. Both work fine in MacOS.

You may need to find AppleODDInstaller.exe (if it is in the current package or from an older package) and install it manually.

You persevered, too, so it was good to see progress. Try the ODDInstaller, before Apple Genii make you wipe Windows and install it a sixth time. 😉

Where are the Boot Camp Drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.