Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues trying to update OS X from 10.10.5

I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) which is currently running Yosemite 10.10.5 and I can't update it. The App store isn't prompting me with any further updates. I have found a direct link to update to El Capitan 10.11.6 but when I click on the button I get this error message

'This version of OS X 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer.'

Why isn't this working?

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2019 3:19 AM

The Updates section in the App Store only shows updates available for the OS you are running and any apps you have purchased from the App Store., as you are on Yosemite 10.10.5 there are no more system updates available. Going from one OS to a newer OS is called an upgrade and these are never listed in the Updates section.

Your Mac is able to upgrade further than El Capitan, the App Store realises that and therefore refuses you the download of El Capitan. Unfortunately it doesn't go on to tell you you can upgrade to High Sierra.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

If you decide to upgrade to High Sierra make a full back up first. Then check with the developers of any third party apps you use to see if there are updates available so they will work in the new OS. Also check with the manufacturers of any printers/ scanners etc that there are available drivers and software so they too will continue to function.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2019 3:19 AM in response to iRoks

The Updates section in the App Store only shows updates available for the OS you are running and any apps you have purchased from the App Store., as you are on Yosemite 10.10.5 there are no more system updates available. Going from one OS to a newer OS is called an upgrade and these are never listed in the Updates section.

Your Mac is able to upgrade further than El Capitan, the App Store realises that and therefore refuses you the download of El Capitan. Unfortunately it doesn't go on to tell you you can upgrade to High Sierra.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

If you decide to upgrade to High Sierra make a full back up first. Then check with the developers of any third party apps you use to see if there are updates available so they will work in the new OS. Also check with the manufacturers of any printers/ scanners etc that there are available drivers and software so they too will continue to function.

Having issues trying to update OS X from 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.