Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 6 is not opening library

I'm using a G4 with OS 10.4.11. Five libraries are all stored on an external HD. Four of them are no longer recognized by iPhoto 6. cmd + alt opens the repair menu, but all functions (create thumbnails, create new database, etc.) are not executed. The iPhoto surface stays blank. Not a single picture, no album is displayed.

How can this be repaired?

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 12:11 AM

When I set up a complete new album(library)  it is possible to import photos from the folders "originals" and "modified".
Problem is: the new album (library) does not show the old structure with albums. They have to be created again.

Couple of notes on that:

1. Creating a new library is starting over from scratch. Hence no albums or any other organisation.
  2. If you import from both the Originals and the Modified folders you'll get massive duplication
  3. Forget the Modifieds. They're just lower quality previews missing most of the metadata.
  4. Anything in Modifieds is, by definition, also, in the unedited form, in Originals.
  5. Yes, you lose your edits and changes, but it is starting over from scratch...

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2019 12:11 AM in response to Rolf Seiler

When I set up a complete new album(library)  it is possible to import photos from the folders "originals" and "modified".
Problem is: the new album (library) does not show the old structure with albums. They have to be created again.

Couple of notes on that:

1. Creating a new library is starting over from scratch. Hence no albums or any other organisation.
  2. If you import from both the Originals and the Modified folders you'll get massive duplication
  3. Forget the Modifieds. They're just lower quality previews missing most of the metadata.
  4. Anything in Modifieds is, by definition, also, in the unedited form, in Originals.
  5. Yes, you lose your edits and changes, but it is starting over from scratch...

Mar 26, 2019 1:15 AM in response to Yer_Man

Dear Terence, I downloaded iPhoto Library manager for iPhoto 6 as you suggested. When I tried to rebuild one of the broken libraries, I get this message: "This library cannot be rebuilt because its XML file contains no image records."

That seems to be the problem. Any idea where I can find this XML file and how it possibly could be repaired?

I know that in the folder "originals" there are still all the picture data.

iPhoto 6 is not opening library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.