You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening Terminal Window Group modifies Terminal Preferences and open invalid windows

• Using: MacOS Mojave - Version 10.14.3
  • Terminal: Version 2.9.1 (421.1)

When I select Window → Open Window Group, the Terminal window I have identified in the window group do open but other invalid windows are also opened and the Terminal Preferences is affected (a set of extra Terminal Profiles are added in the Preferences). The "invalid windows" look like completely transparent windows with no text in them. The problem is repeatable.

Notes:

• I created several Terminal profiles, and used names that start with a period to ensure their names are at the beginning of the list. Some of these Terminal profiles simply launch bash and the others launch ssh on a specific address. All of these profiles use a coloured background.
  • The profiles created as a result of opening the Terminal Window Group are all using the original default Basic profile colour (white). That profile is no longer my default. My default is now the new profile I named ".bash" (without the quotes).

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 25, 2019 12:05 PM

4 replies

Mar 26, 2019 1:46 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks Leroy. I was aware of that article, and had been using Terminal windows groups before (although a smaller number and not named with a leading period). The problem I reported is related to the latest version of MacOS. I created a Window group with 11 Terminal windows. When I expand it, the 12 Terminal windows show up, but another 10 windows show up and seven of them are invalid windows, completely transparent with nothing in the title bar except the word "Window". Here's a screen-shot of one of those window:

These window take no keyboard entries (they beep on each key press). If I make that window full screen the screen goes black.

I have also created other, smaller Terminal window groups (from 3 to 9 windows, depending of the group). And those expand just fine.

I have also re-created the original group that was failing and one attempt 3, today (after todays's Xcode upgrade), the group works OK.

I don't know what caused the original problem. It's OK now. A transient bug? Anyway things are fine now.

Opening Terminal Window Group modifies Terminal Preferences and open invalid windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.