Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad missing numeric passcode for Touch ID.

When I turn on my iPad, I get this on the screen:

If I type in the correct passcode, it tells me it is incorrect, and continues to lock me out longer and longer. Even when I hide the keyboard, when I hit the home button the keyboard appears again.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Mar 26, 2019 9:28 AM

16 replies

Mar 26, 2019 9:39 AM in response to David Stembridge

Was it new in the box, or did you purchase a previously used iPad? It's important, because if you purchased a gently, but previously used device, it may not have been properly prepared for a next owner and if so, you could have a big problem.

You can try the process for a forgotten passcode, which is to erase and restore the iPad via iTunes, per the instructions in this link: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Mar 27, 2019 1:06 AM in response to David Stembridge

Yes, any backup is protected/encrypted by the passcode that was active in protecting the iOS device at the time of the backup. Thus, restoring a backup to a device will continue to have its data protected after the restore process - as well as protecting the backup itself.

If this mechanism did not exist, it would be trivial to circumvent security measures that Apple have implemented in order to protect your confidential data.

iPad missing numeric passcode for Touch ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.