Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store notification to install Security Update -- which is already installed -- huh?

Hey folks,

On 3/26/19 I installed Security Update 2019-002 10.13.6.

It's listed in Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days.

Today, 3 days later, the App Store is telling me that the same update is available.

Any thoughts or ideas about how I should proceed? Following the advice in another thread, I rebooted -- but no change.

Any thoughts or ideas as to why this happened or how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark

Posted on Mar 29, 2019 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 10:34 AM

Follow-up:

I applied Security Update 2019-002 (#2) in Safe Mode and it appeared to install correctly. Both updates show up in "Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days."

I note if you go here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209635

which, among other things says:

"Security Update 2019-002 for macOS High Sierra and macOS Sierra has been updated. "

The wording on the page is unnecessarily ambiguous (i.e., sloppy: "these builds?" "the previous build?") but it seems to imply that the Update was updated. OK, fine, but why oh why could there not have been SOMETHING, anything in the App Store indicating that such was the case?

Merely listing the updated Security Update with the exact same name and description for a second time (evidently this is called a "silent" update?) is simply careless and inexcusable by the curators of the App Store. It just wastes peoples' time.

(And thank you, BDAqua for the link to x704.net, the comments of which echoed my thoughts exactly.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2019 10:34 AM in response to BDAqua

Follow-up:

I applied Security Update 2019-002 (#2) in Safe Mode and it appeared to install correctly. Both updates show up in "Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days."

I note if you go here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209635

which, among other things says:

"Security Update 2019-002 for macOS High Sierra and macOS Sierra has been updated. "

The wording on the page is unnecessarily ambiguous (i.e., sloppy: "these builds?" "the previous build?") but it seems to imply that the Update was updated. OK, fine, but why oh why could there not have been SOMETHING, anything in the App Store indicating that such was the case?

Merely listing the updated Security Update with the exact same name and description for a second time (evidently this is called a "silent" update?) is simply careless and inexcusable by the curators of the App Store. It just wastes peoples' time.

(And thank you, BDAqua for the link to x704.net, the comments of which echoed my thoughts exactly.)

App Store notification to install Security Update -- which is already installed -- huh?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.