Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The application "Garageband" can't be opened error message?

I just downloaded Garageband for the first time on my Macbook Pro, and I'm having some issues getting it to open. When I first try to launch it, I get a dialogue box say "macOS needs to repair your Library to run application" (first time I've ever seen this), then after I enter my password it immediately pops up saying that Garageband can't be opened. I've never installed or ran Garageband before, and so I'm a little confused on why this would be happening.

I've used Ableton, a different DAW, for a long time, and have some third-party plugins installed that I use on there. Could those be causing the problem? I've tried moving all of the AU plugins out of the folders but that still doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2019 11:16 PM

Are your third-party plug-ins all 64-bit plug-ins? Garageband may crash on older, 32-bit plug-ins. Check also for older, incompatible VST plug-ins, not only Audio units.

See: GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins - Apple Support

GarageBand for Mac: Use Audio Units plug-ins with GarageBand

Similar questions

1 reply

The application "Garageband" can't be opened error message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.