Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pitch change when starting Logic

Alrighty, this is bizarre. When I play (USB MIDI keys) in MainStage alone, pitch is fine. When I play in Logic alone, pitch is fine. When I have MainStage open (playing keys with my band) and start Logic to record rehearsal, the pitch changes on the MainStage patches by a little more than a half-step flat. This is driving me freaking crazy. I've looked in a number of places (you know how it goes - I was flailing), but there's no transposition and no pitch bend that I can find. It's not a straight half step transposition - I checked a few places and couldn't see any transpositions, either. What's more, it's flatter than a half step off. One other telltale funny thing - with MainStage running and then I start Logic, there are 5-7 medium loud clicks. If I repeatedly play a note (MainStage), the note either doesn't play or changes pitch wildly!!

I'd be much obliged even for places to look. Thanks!

Joe

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 5:33 AM

The pitch difference is due to a sample rate mismatch between the two apps. MainStage is probably set at 44.1k and Logic at 48k. You can change the setting in preferences>audio. As for the the loud clicks and poor performance in MainStage, it's too much for the Mac to handle both apps at the current buffer settings. In MainStage, go to preferences>audio>advanced settings. In Logic, set preferences>audio>I/O buffer size. You'll want to start with a higher setting in Logic, since it's not dependent on realtime performance.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2019 5:33 AM in response to JoeDrzewiecki

The pitch difference is due to a sample rate mismatch between the two apps. MainStage is probably set at 44.1k and Logic at 48k. You can change the setting in preferences>audio. As for the the loud clicks and poor performance in MainStage, it's too much for the Mac to handle both apps at the current buffer settings. In MainStage, go to preferences>audio>advanced settings. In Logic, set preferences>audio>I/O buffer size. You'll want to start with a higher setting in Logic, since it's not dependent on realtime performance.

Pitch change when starting Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.