Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI issues in Logic 10.4.2

I am having issues with the auto-arming feature on my MIDI tracks. For whatever reason, a couple of seconds after I select a MIDI track (and subsequently a few seconds after it auto-arms) it stops sending any signal. My keyboard is still working great, and the signal is making it to Logic (I can tell because it still reads the input if I record) - I just can't hear anything. All non-selected MIDI tracks remain working.

The really interesting part is that when I select a different MIDI track, the first one remains dysfunctional (no sound), and then the newly selected track also stops working. This applies to monitoring the sound as I play/record, as well as just normal playback.

Audio tracks work just fine, so this seems to be a MIDI-only issue. Any ideas what is happening here?

Logic Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 8:32 AM

It's possible that your keyboard is sending an unwanted MIDI volume message, I just answered a similar complaint few days ago. If one of the knobs, sliders or expression wheels is set to MIDI volume, playing the keyboard can jar the internal electronics enough to send out a spurious MIDI command. If this happens when you're recording open the List Editor, the MIDI event will be listed.

The second possibility is the Control Surface (if any) assigned to your MIDI keyboard. Does your Keyboard install any software? Some MIDI controller keyboards come with their own control surface software.

You can delete the Control Surface Preferences.

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library/Preferences, then click Go.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" file from the Preferences folder.
  5. Restart your Mac.

Note: Logic's preferences are also stored there, no need to delete them at this point.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 8:32 AM in response to zrproductions

It's possible that your keyboard is sending an unwanted MIDI volume message, I just answered a similar complaint few days ago. If one of the knobs, sliders or expression wheels is set to MIDI volume, playing the keyboard can jar the internal electronics enough to send out a spurious MIDI command. If this happens when you're recording open the List Editor, the MIDI event will be listed.

The second possibility is the Control Surface (if any) assigned to your MIDI keyboard. Does your Keyboard install any software? Some MIDI controller keyboards come with their own control surface software.

You can delete the Control Surface Preferences.

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library/Preferences, then click Go.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" file from the Preferences folder.
  5. Restart your Mac.

Note: Logic's preferences are also stored there, no need to delete them at this point.

MIDI issues in Logic 10.4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.