Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Wheel of Death

For about six months, my iMac (21.5 inch 2017) has been sluggish. The wheel of death appears almost all the time, whatever I do and whether or not I have even one app open. It even has trouble opening apps in Safari where typing lags behind on the screen all the time. I have done all updates and have taken the desktop to Apple store locally twice to troubleshoot. They reset my Mac at the store which took about two hours and then I restored it manually about two months ago, not through my external drive out of concern there might be a corrupt file somewhere. I have tried Clean my Mac app recently and that made no difference. There is no malware on the Mac and I run Malwarebytes often. I have super fast internet connection and it's hardwired. I'm afraid this is a lemon and not sure what to do next. Really has shaken may confidence in Apple.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 31, 2019 3:00 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 31, 2019 6:11 PM in response to MacSlow

Run DriveDX to check the health of your iMac's drive. Feel free to post a screenshot of all the "Health Indicators" even if the drive reports as healthy.

Also get rid of the Clean My Mac app. You don't need a cleaning app and many of them cause more problems than they solve. Some are just outright malware.

If the drive test passes, then run EtreCheck and post the report using the icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Slow Wheel of Death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.