Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know if i have a fusion drive?

Hi there,

How do i check if my iMac uses Fusion, SSD or a regular HD?

Regardless of whether i ordered it or not - i'd like to find it written in the system spec somewhere. This is a screenshot of where I think I'd find the info. I did search this forum before and the only post i found would describe this screenshot as NOT having fusion - and only having a regular sata.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 4:57 AM

9 replies

Apr 1, 2019 6:15 PM in response to theviewer1985

See where it says Connection: - PCI Express on the bottom right of that graph. That's an indication.

theviewer1985 wrote:

Okay so this is strange then... I did order a 3TB fusion drive. And in this screenshot it shows i have a fusion... But everything else points to me NOT having fusion. Including my first screenshot which came from: Apple > About This Mac > System Report > SATA/SATA Express.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a5272710-b597-4b33-b415-f87743fab5c7

And this screenshot comes from disk utility, which I can't see a mention of SSD on...

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/23675450-b9c4-4b1f-8ea1-907ce2fe7ec9

Apr 1, 2019 6:00 AM in response to den.thed

Okay so this is strange then... I did order a 3TB fusion drive. And in this screenshot it shows i have a fusion... But everything else points to me NOT having fusion. Including my first screenshot which came from: Apple > About This Mac > System Report > SATA/SATA Express.

And this screenshot comes from disk utility, which I can't see a mention of SSD on...

Apr 1, 2019 7:19 AM in response to den.thed

I guess i was just expecting to be able to find a more "concrete" page of information regarding the fusion. Eg. The SSD make / model, how much SSD space available etc etc

As for the PCI page, perhaps it was just a educated guess, and you may kick yourself for asking me to check... but this is my PCI section. Does that mean there is a fault somewhere?

Apr 1, 2019 5:33 AM in response to theviewer1985

An Apple Fusion Drive consist of two drives, an SSD and a HDD.

The screenshot you posted, only shows a 3T HDD.

To check the System Report information of your iMac, take the following path.

Apple > About This Mac > System Report > SATA/SATA Express.

Another way to look at drive information, is using the Disk Utility app.

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

how do i know if i have a fusion drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.