Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod pairing problem. HomePods behave as stand alone when paired

Hi there,

I have 2 HomePods paired and working fine until a few days go when music playing go silent after a few seconds (after update to the latest iOS and MacOS). So I reseted both HomePods (by ungrouping then removing from the Home app).

Then real trouble began. I setup "HomePod Right" first normally then "HomePod Left" to create a stereo pair. Everything seemed fine through the setup process. When I "Hey Siri" both HomePods activates (light blinks, it doesn't happens before), and I ask to play music left answers and only left plays music. Already tried some 10 resets, setting up first left then right, setting up both as stand alone then grouping later, etc

In the Home app the HomePods show up as a stereo setup, but when I directly tap on the HomePods each one will play different musics as 2 stand alone HomePods, if both HomePods are playing (different music) tapping the paired HomePod icon in the Home app only stops the dominant one the other one keeps playing.

In some instances, the "audio settings" where you can check the which on is left or right speaker, doesn't work. Tapping doesn't produce any audio cue.

Music from iTunes and iOS plays fine and treat the pair as single stereo output. Only when I "Hey Siri" to play music both functions as stand alone.

Anyone suffering the same problem?

Any help will greatly appreciated.

Badu76

HomePod, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2019 9:48 AM

A:

• The homepods might have updated to the latest software 12.2, Did you also update your iOS device yet? If not, do that and check both HomePods are on 12.2
  • Unplug the homepods for a few seconds
  • lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate. When they think they got moved, they adjust

• If they still don’t work:

you can also sign out of iCloud in the home app , then sign back in

check your internet connection and unplug the router for a minute,

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208244

Similar questions

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2019 9:48 AM in response to badu76

A:

• The homepods might have updated to the latest software 12.2, Did you also update your iOS device yet? If not, do that and check both HomePods are on 12.2
  • lift the homepods off the surface and rock them gently to recalibrate. When they think they got moved, they adjust

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208244

Apr 1, 2019 11:25 AM in response to badu76

Sounds like they won’t pair.

Try the rocking lifting thing, this has worked for others. They’re designed to adjust to being moved.

i missed adding some things to check (which again, you probably already did)

Apr 6, 2019 5:55 PM in response to LAViking7

I’ll repeat the steps again. Works for some users.

• Use another app: Go to a different app on your device which uses HomePod and see if it pairs. This may restore sync.
  • On the iOS device that you use to set up HomePod, make sure that you signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID and turned on iCloud Keychain. You also need to have two-factor authentication set up for your Apple ID.
  • Make sure that your iOS device has Bluetooth turned on and is connected to your home Wi-Fi network.*
  • Make sure that the Home app and Apple Music app are installed on your iOS device. If you deleted either of these apps, go to the App Store and redownload them.

Apr 4, 2019 2:06 PM in response to badu76

Suggestion: Ungroup the devices again. Unplug both devices. Plug in one HomePod, reset it, use a new unique name, e.g. "Lefty", once reset unplug the device then repeat with other, e.g. "Righty". Now plug "Lefty" back in and try to pair once more.

You may find your devices are more reliable if you assign fixed IP addresses in your router. If you router has dual radio bands (i.e. both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) it may help to turn one band off so your devices are forced to stick to one.

tt2

Apr 6, 2019 5:58 PM in response to LAViking7

Mine is working. Keep in mind I had not Stereo paired yet until after the update with a new HomePod and I immediately installed the 12.2. So this HomePod was starting from scratch, which is why it might be important to ungroup and reset them.

Having said that, they at first would not pair. I was still moving them around to get the right locations going (they like being moved to recalibrate!) I then started swapping left and right - back and forth. Then they worked

• try asking them to play music to all, both of everywhere - this may get them back in sync

Apr 1, 2019 1:19 PM in response to Vancouver22

No luck. Already tried all the above and the rocking thing (before and post setup) and the result is the same. HomePods appear paired in the Home app but they continue to behave like unpaired.

This last trial right after pairing setup (it took maybe 3 min to finish) again "Audio settings" doesn't identify the left/right speakers, no audio cue.

I hope someone from Apple is reading this and come with a fix.

Right now my workaround is disabling Siri on the HomePods and "Hey Siri" through my iPhone...which is dumb, cancelling any benefits to have a "smart speaker".

Apr 1, 2019 2:27 PM in response to badu76

i just bought another HomePod to stereo pair and they better work!

Funny thing is , after this 12.2 update, the two I have in separate rooms began behaving as paired after I air-played to both with Apple Music on Apple TV. I couldn’t get them off this. Finally did through Apple TV audio settings. I often use both for apple music from my phone and they sync perfectly, not paired.

I wonder if you were to try airplaying to both from your iOS device , they’d somehow recalibrate together?

Apr 2, 2019 2:45 PM in response to badu76

Well just an update.

Just used one of those youtube left/right channels test and they are just playing synced not in real stereo.

When I "Hey Siri" usually right wake up and if asked to play music only right plays. I have to ask "play everywhere".

And when I "Hey Siri" to vol up/down right wake up but adjust only left output.......!!!!!!! As I ask "volume zero" right keeps playing but left goes silent.

Just scheduled a call with Apple tomorrow hope to have them figure out some solution.

Apr 2, 2019 6:45 PM in response to badu76

Yes, have the same issue. Happened after updating to IOS 12.2. Can’t pair. I have removed from account, reset to factory, rebooted, paired and un-grouped multiple times. Can see both iPods on the router and they are both on 5ghz and each have an IP address. Can play stereo via iTunes or AppleTV but not via Siri or touching one of the homepods to play in stereo as only one side plays and it is the side I paired from. Have the same issue with audio cue as the side that does not play will not provide a cue. Most of the time neither side produces a cue.

Did a post just a few minutes ago. Need help to solve this one.

Apr 2, 2019 7:18 PM in response to badu76

Don’t know if this is a workaround for you.

it could also serve as an exercise to teach them to sync.

The idea is you initiate them to act as “one” using commands to play all homepods

i have two Homepods in different rooms - NOT Stereo Paired

if I ask siri to play music on “all” homepods or “everywhere”. Or “both”.

Music plays on both, in sync and one can be tapped to pause and both will pause . It didn’t matter which one I tapped.

I’ve not tested the volume + and - to see if it can adjust both (again ... mine are not paired) but I can ask Siri to turn the volume down on all. Not ever having used stereo pairing , I would t know what’s missing in this method.

Apr 3, 2019 6:28 AM in response to Vancouver22

When I have asked Siri to play everywhere, all speakers play, but not in stereo. The ping test works now on both speakers (can hear each side). I have un-grouped and paired several times since the "play everywhere" command but still haven't achieved stereo play. Well, at least this is progressive's. IOS 12.2 has some kinks. Hope the apple engineers get this figured out soon.

Apr 5, 2019 3:40 PM in response to turingtest2

I have already tried your suggestions.

Then the same processes with my 3 wifi access points. Tried multiple combos: 3 on at the same time, moving HomePods from one to another, restricting bands on one or another 5GHz or 2.4GHz only, g/n, b/g/n, n only, turning on radio one at a time, etc.

Talked to apple support and installed some diagnostic software on my iPhone, ran through pairing process, have the session recorded and sent to Apple engineers.

Now waiting for feedback

Apr 5, 2019 3:59 PM in response to badu76

Validate all the required configuration, applied all the suggestions (many times). Best I can get is sync play but never stereo. Anxious to hear what the Apple engineers come back with based on the diagnostic data capture on your iPhone.

Is this a firmware issue or a data issue with the HomePod servers (or some of both)? Hope they figure it out soon. Missing my stereo HomePods.

HomePod pairing problem. HomePods behave as stand alone when paired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.