Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

water damage phone

I have a iphone 7 plus I need to recover photos that fell in puddle

Posted on Apr 2, 2019 12:13 PM

66 replies

Apr 3, 2019 1:19 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

As long as there is still power in the battery, some parts of the board are still supplied with power. They don't try to draw from it, but it reaches "their gate."

The good thing is, batteries have a control board and if the output is shorted due to liquid, the board may shut down supply.

However, if it does not, you now have on the board many types of conductive metals and power running through them causing hydrolysis (and corrosion) and causing solder joints to therefore break, and possibly corrosion (or water itself) will be bridging power rails (or lines) together. So suddenly you have 4V from the battery going into a line for the CPU that should not exceed 1V. That would burn transistors inside the CPU and kill it partially or totally. This is true for any electronic board, not just Apple iPhones or Macs. And this is why it is preferable to first turn it off, and second try to disconnect all forms of power if possible (when for example you have a user removable battery). Then proceed to clean and assess.

Apr 3, 2019 12:19 AM in response to Kristyanna1019

I come across this very often and yes most lightlly your data can be saved.

1. first thing to do (if possible) is remove battery and power off the device

DO NOT try to turn it on or plug to charger/computer this might make things worse

2.find a dry place / warm and let the phone dry there untill you can get it to service.

DO NOT put in rice (this is a myth and doesnt help) ,DO NOT put in Microwave ( this will destroy your device)

3 as soon as you can (Time is important to success rate) take your device to repair shop that can handle water damage and data recovery.

This is advice coming from someone that actually does this work all the time and plenty of experience.

Good Luck getting your data back !

Apr 3, 2019 12:15 AM in response to Kristyanna1019

For future reference, even on an iPhone you can use a service from Google called "Google Photos which gives you free, unlimited storage for your photos - automatically backed up from your pho e as you take them. This is very handy should the worst happen.

In your current situation, yes, it is very possible, and even PROBABLE, that all your photos can be recovered. There are many ruputabke services across the world who offer this service. As yet, Apple don't officially offer this service, so you do need to venture outside of their official network. Just because Apple themselves don't offer it, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Apr 6, 2019 1:52 PM in response to Kristyanna1019

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your phone falling into a puddle.

If you would like to recover your photos from your phone, you have a few options.

1. If your phone still works, I recommend you plug it into a computer and back it up via iTunes or go into your iCloud settings, click “iCloud Back Up” and press “Back Up” your photos will be safe on the cloud.
  2. If your phone is affected by water damage and won’t turn on, I recommend you go to your nearest Apple Store and set up a Genius Bar Appointment. There, they will be able to fix your phone.
  3. Your photos might already be on the cloud! So no need to worry about your phone.

I hope this helped you, and good luck on getting back your photos!

Apr 2, 2019 11:04 PM in response to Kristyanna1019

Kristyanna1019 wrote:

the phone fell in the puddle, Duh!

Yes, and what I said in the very first reply was if it would not turn on then you could not recover anything unless it was from a backup. I did not say it was impossible to recover the phone contents because all you said was it was dropped in a puddle, nothing about its operating condition afterward and I wasn't ready to start going on about 'well if this then that, and if this then that, and if this then that'.

Oh, don't do the rice thing. Let it sit for several days before turning it on.

If it will turn on then there's a very good chance you can recover things, though water damage can have a delayed effect so you'd better do backups sooner. You never can tell. We have an iPhone 5S that fell into several inches of water for a few seconds two years ago and is still going strong, but people have also posted here about iPhones getting splattered with water and being toast.

Apr 3, 2019 10:52 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch, you are correct that the power draw is very minimal when the phone is not booted and in the off state during normal condition. However, there is still battery voltage on one of the power rails. The importance of disconnecting the battery of a water damage phone is that as long as there is voltage present there can be short circuits due to water. This results in a massive current draw and power draw that can overload and kill electrical components on logic boards.

It is likely that customers don’t have the tools to open their phone to disconnect the battery so first suggestion is definitely to turn the phone off *****.

Here to help :)

[Edited by Host]

Apr 3, 2019 7:56 AM in response to Kristyanna1019

I think you mean the photo stored on your, now dead, iphone right ?

If you didn't have icloud enabled then as a user you CANNOT recover your photos, neighter can any Apple store!

If you did have icloud enabled, but did not have wifi or mobile data at hand, only the photos you made during your offline time are gone.

If you were unlucky and only had some verry important fotos stored on your iphone, then you could search for a data recovery service. This is not going to be cheap and you always have a chance of not recovering anything.

Unfortunatly, I have no personal experience, nor do I personaly know someone who did, so please take my advice as is.

I only watch youtube video's and try to use my brain doing so.

Apr 3, 2019 11:36 AM in response to jmfinnie

If they have AppleCare+ then it used one of their 2 accidental damage incidents.

If they don't but were in warranty they can do an out-of-warranty replacement. Even if they were out of warranty they could do an out-of-warranty replacement.

If the photos they want to save are really that precious to them they can find a reputable 3rd party repair site (not a trivial task), maybe get there photos back and buy a new phone. Apparently at some sites they may be without their phone for several months so they will need to buy a new phone in the meantime. Of course in today's world if they were wedding photos they could just get copies from one of the 50 other people that took them or buy some from the professional photographer.

They should also learn about streaming photos and backups.

water damage phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.