Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop is covered by diagonal rows of screenshots

Desktop not usable,Desktop is covered by diagonal rows of screenshots, which I assume are from a file of

screenshots-located on the desktop. Does anyone have any leads as how to clear the offending files and restore Desktop to previous state. Thanks for any help.

This is on an old MacBook Pro running on Mac OS High Sierra.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 6:40 AM

Probably an errant drag or errant dopy. Open Finder, navigate to your desktop folder, see what’s there, and delete what you don’t want there. Click and shift-click and command-click can select ranges of files for relocation or for deletion.

6 replies

Apr 3, 2019 7:16 AM in response to Figtree2091

You're asking for help with a folder filled with stuff you don't want where it's located. That folder happens to be the Desktop, but it could be any other folder under your home folder.

Some errant sequence has filled a folder with files that you now don't want where they are located.

Only you can decide what's in those files, whether to preserve those files and where you want to copy those files, or whether you can or should delete those files, or a combination of both. If you want to keep those errant files, create another folder under your home folder or your documents folder, or however you organize your files under your home directory. Copy the errant files there with an individual drag, or a mass-select drag.

If they're screen shots or other images, preview them—Quicklook or otherwise—and see if you want them.

If you had previous files in the desktop, then you'll have to sort those out, if you want to keep those files on the desktop—in the desktop folder.

If the screen shots all happened around the same time, selecting a different sort at the top of a Finder window might make it easier to mass-select the errant files.

And again, ⇧click and ⌘click and ^click are useful for selecting and de-selecting individual files and ranges of files. This for dragging some or all of the files in the source window in Finder.

Apr 4, 2019 5:49 AM in response to MrHoffman

.Thanks to all who answered re errant files on Desktop. I have removed the Files and stored them as a Bakup in a file under Document.Still have some minor issues as the preexisting Files on DeskTop have moved and the File description are slightly

amended- truncated. The method of transfer of 'new'Screenshots' has altered, instead of stacking in the top right corner, over the desktop.now they fill individually. i think i have altered some settings and hopefully I will be able to correct the settings soon.

Desktop is covered by diagonal rows of screenshots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.