Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change the email address associated with an APPLE ID

Hi,

I am trying to change the Apple ID for my account. The country is not changing only the email address associated with the account.

My initial Apple account was created with a gmail address. This email has become a problem and needs to be retired. I have decided to setup an @icloud email address and purchase the additional space i will require. However i do not want to loose any of my app purchases on this apple account and only wish to change the email address associated with it to that of an icloud address.

However, when i sign-in with my gmail account on appleid.apple.com and go to Account > Edit to change it.

I have two location where i can insert the new email address in my case it will be a iCloud email account.

• At the top > (APPLE ID) Change Apple ID… 

With this option when i try and change it by inserting the new icloud account address i get the following response: You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account. This is not very clear, on file in my account?

• and at the bottom > (CONTACTABLE AT) Add More…

With this option when i try and change it by inserting the new icloud account address i get the following response:This email address is not available. Choose a different address.

It gives me the impression that a) i should not have created the iCloud mail account first and b) the apple id gets created by selecting a unique and new apple id. once Apple ID is created you can create the mail account via apple mail accounts.

Could someone please clarify this process. How to change the email address associated with an APPLE ID and retain all purchase history.

According to Apple this is possible as long as the region doesn't change. Changing regions will delete all previous purchase data.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 8:16 AM

You have an Apple ID which is a Gmail address and I gather you have also created an iCloud address as part of it.

In this instance, you can change the ID login address to the iCloud address. However I would recommend you consider not doint this because if you are using the iCloud as a working email address you would also be announcing what your login is to the world which reduces your security. It's better to have as the login a separate address which you don't use for anything else.

If you do change to the iCloud address you must use a different address as the 'rescue address' or if the account goes wrong in some way Apple won't be able to contact you - for example to send a reset email.

This is the process for changing the ID address:

1. Firstly, sign out of iCloud on all your devices: go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server). If you have 'Find My iPhone' etc enabled you will need to disable it first. Your synced data will disappear from your devices but will reappear when you sign back in.
  2. Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it is not associated with an Apple ID). Or you can change it to another Apple address but only if it's listed when you click the link to change (in practice this means your main @icloud.com address, and the equivalent @me.com and @mac.com versions if you have them: it does not include email aliases).
  3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.
  4. Where it says 'Apple ID' and gives your current ID email address, click 'Change your Apple ID'.
  5. Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'
  6. Sign back into iCloud on all your devices with the new ID and password. Your synced data will reappear (give it time).

I reiterate - before you start, sign out of iCloud on all your devices. Failure to do this will lead you into difficulties.

This process will not affect your purchases since you are not changing the ID itself but only the name of the ID (think Umberto Eco - the name of a thing is not the thing itself) - with which piece of existentialism I will wish you good luck in your process.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2019 8:16 AM in response to Johann_Venter

You have an Apple ID which is a Gmail address and I gather you have also created an iCloud address as part of it.

In this instance, you can change the ID login address to the iCloud address. However I would recommend you consider not doint this because if you are using the iCloud as a working email address you would also be announcing what your login is to the world which reduces your security. It's better to have as the login a separate address which you don't use for anything else.

If you do change to the iCloud address you must use a different address as the 'rescue address' or if the account goes wrong in some way Apple won't be able to contact you - for example to send a reset email.

This is the process for changing the ID address:

1. Firstly, sign out of iCloud on all your devices: go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server). If you have 'Find My iPhone' etc enabled you will need to disable it first. Your synced data will disappear from your devices but will reappear when you sign back in.
  2. Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it is not associated with an Apple ID). Or you can change it to another Apple address but only if it's listed when you click the link to change (in practice this means your main @icloud.com address, and the equivalent @me.com and @mac.com versions if you have them: it does not include email aliases).
  3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.
  4. Where it says 'Apple ID' and gives your current ID email address, click 'Change your Apple ID'.
  5. Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'
  6. Sign back into iCloud on all your devices with the new ID and password. Your synced data will reappear (give it time).

I reiterate - before you start, sign out of iCloud on all your devices. Failure to do this will lead you into difficulties.

This process will not affect your purchases since you are not changing the ID itself but only the name of the ID (think Umberto Eco - the name of a thing is not the thing itself) - with which piece of existentialism I will wish you good luck in your process.

Apr 3, 2019 8:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

Thank you for the input.

I have also reviewed https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT202667

Understand the security risks and its only used for private so i dont feel to threatened.

As for my issue i have the current APPLE ID (gmail) and i have the new iCloud account when i try and update it as you suggested and or with the above links (same process). I still get the same issue. Unable to change : You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account.

I have read somewhere where they say if the new iCloud account is younger then 30Days it might also have an impact?

Regardless I have even tried something as random as aabbccdd332211@icloud.com (not in use, i checked). Every attempt to change the address to an @icloud.com address came back with the same error as above. I don't understand that statement.

Regards,

Apr 3, 2019 8:45 AM in response to Johann_Venter

I don't know about the 30 days, I suppose it's possible. My account page is probably different from what you have as my ID is already an Apple address (dating from the pre-iCloud days) - so I can only change it to the ones shown here:

You should see something similar. If none of this works for you, I would suggest that for the time being you create a free email address - Yahoo perhaps - and change to that, since your ID should really be a working email. Then perhaps wait the 30 days from the creation of your iCloud account on the off-chance and try again. If you can't get it to work you should contact Support: https://getsupport.apple.com

Apr 3, 2019 9:32 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

Thanks again. Mine looks very similar except i don't see any other email account only the one primary gmail account. How would i go about adding more addresses like you have?

As per your previous post, change apple id?

If all fails ill wait the 30 days and try again.

i have another account i wanted to do the same thing. Decided to have apple delete the account so i can recreate it if possible vie the appleid page. Should know if this works by next week.

Thanks

Apr 3, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Johann_Venter

If Apple delete an account you will lose all your purchases made with that ID. 'Recreating it' won't work: you won't be able to reuse the existing addrtess or the same iCloud address and you will be creating a new Apple ID which won't allow access to your purchases and updates.

Regarding the account we have been talking about, I don't know why you aren't seeing the same options (without the @mac.com and @me.com variants since you won't have those). It might be the 30 days thing, though I emphasize I don't knokw anything about that or whether it even exists.

Change the email address associated with an APPLE ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.