Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to control Ring/Silent Switch using software only

I have a recurring problem with the Ring / Silent Switch, the mechanical switch on the side of the phone that has a little patch of red paint on it. Two issues:

1. Its state (e.g. Ring or Silent) is not shown on the iPhone screen status bar, or anywhere else on screen. This is a constant annoyance, since a) it's so easy to forget the state of the switch and b) it is not easily seen if you have a case to protect your iPhone. In the real world, when you own a slippery, fragile $1000+ item you take everywhere with you, it's just a matter of time before you drop it or get it wet - so a case is mandatory for me.

2. It is a mechanical switch which is difficult to operate at the best of times, especially when you have a case to protect your phone. It's even worse if the case is waterproof (e.g. Lifeproof Pre), since the button must have a cover that seals it, which is then hard to operate and can't be seen.

Here's the typical scenario:

- you're in a meeting, whatever... you need to silence your phone

- the meeting / show is over 2 hours later and your mind is on other things, so you forget your phone is in Silent mode

- a day or so later you realize you're not hearing any phone calls or texts coming in, so you come to your senses and change the switch (though I can't tell what state it's in because of my case)

After much searching I have found a way to control the switch and see it status using software only:

- set up Assistive Touch by going to Settings / General / Accessibility / Accessibility Shortcut, and selecting AssistiveTouch

- triple click Home button to bring up Assistive Touch 

- click Device / Mute 

- the Assistive Touch button remains always on-screen as a reminder that your device is muted 

- after the event requiring Mute is over, click Assistive Touch on-screen button and click Device / Unmute 

- triple click the Home button to close Assistive Touch

Not perfect but it works. Sometimes I forget to Unmute before I close Assistive Touch, which means my phone is Silent but I don't know that. Sooner or later I realize, and correct it. Otherwise the workaround pretty much solves the problem. Enjoy!

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2019 4:21 PM

The Control Center options in a recent update solved the issue for me. They allow me to quickly silences calls and notifications for an hour, until the end of the day, or until I leave the current location. See the following from Use and customize Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Do Not Disturb: Silence calls and notifications. Press and hold to turn on for an hour or until the end of the day. Or turn it on just for an event or while you’re at a location, and it automatically turns off when the event ends or you leave that location.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2019 4:21 PM in response to cryerson

The Control Center options in a recent update solved the issue for me. They allow me to quickly silences calls and notifications for an hour, until the end of the day, or until I leave the current location. See the following from Use and customize Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Do Not Disturb: Silence calls and notifications. Press and hold to turn on for an hour or until the end of the day. Or turn it on just for an event or while you’re at a location, and it automatically turns off when the event ends or you leave that location.

How to control Ring/Silent Switch using software only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.