Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen on MacBook Pro 2018

My MacBook Pro 2018 screen turned black this morning whilst working on it viewing an internal presentation for work. I’ve tried everything including trying to reset my NVRAM and SMC without any luck. The only thing I see on my Touch Bar is "esc". I then connected the MB to an LG TV and managed to have access to it as an external monitor. Still with black screen. I ran Disk Utility which confirmed no issues with my MB. The Preferences does not give any unusual results. I need help in getting my screen back on my 6 months old MacBook Pro as I'm currently on the road....... Any suggestions will be highly appreciated as I'm over 1 week away from any Apple Support Center.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 6:39 AM

8 replies

Apr 4, 2019 6:45 AM in response to JKZak

Run Apple Diagnostics to check for hardware failure.

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Note that Apple Diagnostics is not the most sensitive test. If it reports there is a problem you can be pretty sure there is one but just because it reports no problems doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. Apple has much more extensive hardware tests they can run.

Apr 4, 2019 1:14 PM in response to macjack

Thank you for the info. I have tried to run Apple Diagnostics with no luck. Holding down the D key does not start the diagnostics. Same results when I tried with Command-D. After running Disk Utility in Recovery mode, I now have a full lit keyboard but still with black screen. I have to rely on my LG TV to see what I'm doing. Any other suggestions?

I'm really so annoyed as this is a new MacBook Pro and the issue started out of nothing whilst switching to full display to review a presentation.

Apr 4, 2019 1:56 PM in response to JKZak

I have the same exact issue, with a new i7 15" MBP, and no external monitor to project to! Spent some time on chat support this morning with not much help. I'm curious [OP] as to whether resetting SMC actually would execute properly? Not being able to see anything, the behavior of some of these troubleshooting routines is not what is written. For instance, powering off the "hard way" by just holding the power key forever does SEEM to shut the system down, but then if I do the three-key, plus 4, SMC reset, the system seems to turn "On" about 7 seconds or so after adding the power button. In other words, the system appears OFF, I hold the left Control&Option keys while holding the right Shift key for 7 seconds, then add to the hold the power button for 7 seconds but while I'm in that hold position the system seems to turn ON - keyboard lights up, the bar lights up.

Similarly, when the system APPEARS to be sleeping, i.e. powered-up, keyboard lit, then I shut the lid, leave it alone for a good 30 minutes or more, then open it, all I see is the ESC key lit. Nothing else is responding. No choices but to hold the power button long again.

We're just shy of an hour from nearest service repair outfit. Or mail....

not the best reliability I have seen

Black Screen on MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.