Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Black Screen

Hi .. following installing Big Sur to my MacBook Pro 2015 13” . My screen has gone black . I have tried usual steps .. reinstalling, trying different methods holding various keys down and restarting .. as guided by apple support . My screen is bluish black if I poke it (apply slight pressure) it emits light where I touch it.

I seem to be facing an expensive flat fee for a headwear issue .. although it seems so coincidental that it occurred following new OS instillation .

Any suggestions or advise would be hugely appreciated. Please forgive my lack of technical terms .. I don’t have a great deal of knowledge in this area.

nb If I plug in my MacBook into my TV with hdmi cable I am able to see what should be on my screen.

Many thanks if anyone can advise

Amy

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi Amy_Free,

Thanks for posting your question! Having a Mac you can rely on is certainly important. It looks like your Mac display is blank, but the Mac seems to start up still, and you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already.

It sounds like you already tried the steps in this link: If your Mac starts up to a blank screen. Is that correct? If you've completed all of these steps and the issue remains, that's when we recommend working directly with Apple for your options: Contact Apple Support

Best wishes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Amy_Free

Hi Amy_Free,

Thanks for posting your question! Having a Mac you can rely on is certainly important. It looks like your Mac display is blank, but the Mac seems to start up still, and you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already.

It sounds like you already tried the steps in this link: If your Mac starts up to a blank screen. Is that correct? If you've completed all of these steps and the issue remains, that's when we recommend working directly with Apple for your options: Contact Apple Support

Best wishes.

Dec 8, 2020 7:57 AM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your reply .. to update . The next day I took my Mac book to the apple shop. It was looked at the Genius Bar and confirmed that the display needed replacing. They informed me it was likely a coincidence that it went black straight after installing Big Sur . I decided not to send off as cost too prohibitive as my 4 year old MacBook Pro 2015 model has very expensive screen, due to anti glare.

Anyhow I decided to buy a external monitor and use it that way as the screen replacement was too prohibitive.

Later That day I got home turned my MacBook Pro on and my screen was working !!!

It has been all week with no problems at all . I can only think it was some sort of glitch connected to the update. I have no proof but I can see many reports of similar issues . I hope this helps anyone . So glad I didn’t replace it.

MacBook Pro - Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.