Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burst mode goes on by itself

When taking photos on my iPhone 7, getting same problem as I had on iPhone 5. Burst mode keeps turning on by itself, often when I'm not even touching the shutter button (!), let alone holding it down.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2019 9:12 PM

Oh for Pete's sake. You guys are just sounding like condescending techies, rather than addressing the issue.

Fine-so I didn't remember that the "home" button is that other circle, not the shutter. I think it's pretty clear I know what the bloody shutter is, and how to take pictures. Let me simplify this issue:

1. the burst feature going off FOR NO REASON (CAUSED BY MY ACTIONS), whether you like to hear it or not, is in fact a problem other people are having; even I know some. Rather than getting all Appley-defensive you should encourage Apple to address this flaw. As I stated earlier, there was the same flaw with my iPhone 5s. We should not be forced to remove our screen protectors (though I appreciate the advice that that may, indeed, be triggering this design flaw).
  2. Techie designers listen up:

No matter much you are in love with your new bell or whistle, users should always be given the option to easily turn it off.

Lots of people are unhappy with this burst "feature", notwithstanding it's clear benefits - WHEN DESIRED. Research this better please.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2019 9:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Oh for Pete's sake. You guys are just sounding like condescending techies, rather than addressing the issue.

Fine-so I didn't remember that the "home" button is that other circle, not the shutter. I think it's pretty clear I know what the bloody shutter is, and how to take pictures. Let me simplify this issue:

1. the burst feature going off FOR NO REASON (CAUSED BY MY ACTIONS), whether you like to hear it or not, is in fact a problem other people are having; even I know some. Rather than getting all Appley-defensive you should encourage Apple to address this flaw. As I stated earlier, there was the same flaw with my iPhone 5s. We should not be forced to remove our screen protectors (though I appreciate the advice that that may, indeed, be triggering this design flaw).
  2. Techie designers listen up:

No matter much you are in love with your new bell or whistle, users should always be given the option to easily turn it off.

Lots of people are unhappy with this burst "feature", notwithstanding it's clear benefits - WHEN DESIRED. Research this better please.

Apr 4, 2019 7:28 AM in response to aardworks

There is no setting to turn on or off for "burst mode", so it can't be turning on by itself; it i always on. If you hold the shutter button (instead of touch and release) it will take pictures until you release it. If you aren't touching the shutter button and not holding either volume button and it takes pictures on its own your phone has a screen digitizer problem. It might be your screen protector, so try removing it. But if that isn't the problem your phone has a hardware problem. Live Photos, which does take multiple images, has an icon in the camera view that can be turned on or off. Is that what you are seeing?

Apr 4, 2019 7:58 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks. Maybe it is that screen protector that is causing this weird, very frustrating problem. But Apple SHOULD allow us to turn burst mode off, since it seems to malfunction pretty easily.

Of course I'm not just stupidly holding the shutter button down! Dah. I am however wildly hitting every button and icon in sight when -for no reason, I assure you- camera is suddenly taking 42 shots in 2 seconds, then 23 in one, till I finally somehow exorcise the possessed little beast.

I had this strange problem with my iPhone 5. Disappointing that Apple still had not addressed this problem by iPhone 7 release.

Apr 4, 2019 8:03 AM in response to aardworks

I don't think Apple sees it as a problem. It is a problem with your phone. If it was a problem with millions of phones - remember, there are 1.4 BILLION iPhones sold, so if it affected even 1% that would be 14 million phones - there would be thousands of posts about it and articles in all of the tech press sites. It's never been a problem on any of my phones, and I haven't seen any other posts about it, and I see pretty much all new iPhone posts.

Apr 4, 2019 8:08 AM in response to aardworks

aardworks wrote:

I should add that, appropriately, the screen protector does not cover the home (shutter) button.

Maybe if if I turn flash to "auto" (instead of off) it will help prevent burst mode from showing up uninvited.

The HOME button is not the shutter button. The Shutter button is a "soft" onscreen button, and I'm sure your screen protector covers it as screen protectors cover the whole screen. You can also use either volume button to take photos, and if you hold either one it will take photos continuously after a 1 second pause. If you press the HOME button while the camera is open the camera will close and the phone will go back to the Home screen.

This has nothing to do with flash, so the flash setting shouldn't affect it.

Apr 5, 2019 6:48 AM in response to aardworks

It is a problem with your phone. It is not a problem with 1.4 BILLION phones. So make a genius bar appointment and let the Apple tech figure out why YOUR PHONE has a problem that most phones don't. And encourage others with the problem to do the same. The way Apple knows about problems is if people report them (and posting here is not a way to report them). When a large number of people report the same problem Apple looks for a common cause. But a few random phones are treated as a local problem and are fixed on an individual basis.

If you want Apple to change the way it works, again, posting in this user-to-user forum is not a way to let Apple know. Instead use https://apple.com/feedback.

Burst mode goes on by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.