Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering after water damage?

Long story short, I had my laptop in my backpack and I forgot to close my water bottle. The water spilled on my laptop, and I didn't realize until much later. When I noticed, I powered off my laptop and allowed it to dry for a week with a high powered fan. Everything was working fine except a few white water mark splotches, and then it started flickering a few days later. I asked my boyfriend to open up the bottom, and there was no water damage to the battery or logic board, so I'm kinda confused why the screen is flickering. Does the flickering indicate that water is still present or is the screen just completely damaged and needs to be replaced?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 8:14 AM

Stop using the computer. Shut it down. Unplug it. Take it to an authorized Apple service center. (make an appointment if you have an Apple store close)

4 replies

Apr 5, 2019 7:57 PM in response to fairypops1

Your picture looks like an LCD panel issue.

Just opening the bottom case is not enough to be sure there is no liquid damage to the Logic Board since there could be damage on the other side of the board. Besides looking for liquid residue, you need to look for very small (or not so small) bits of corrosion which may require the use of a magnifier to detect sometimes. I do not recommend most people removing components unless they are skilled as the Logic Board, cables, and the connectors are very fragile and easily damaged.

Screen flickering after water damage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.