Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari stops playing Amazon video content - Silverlight IS installed

Recently, I'd been using Google Chrome for everything but suddenly it went wonky and would'n open known websites (Apple.com Google.com) so I decided to fall back to using Safari 12.1 b(13607.1.40.1.5) but when I go to Amazon to view Amazon video content I KNOW I have, I get an "unsupported plugin" message from Safari. I know that Amazon's video content runs on Silverlight - and that's already installed. Any ideas what's up?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2019 8:44 AM

Plugins can be vulnerable and are somewhat of a safety concern. The newer formats are moving away from plugins.

If you are running macOS 10.13 as your profile shows, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS. That should reinstall Safari 11.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2019 8:44 AM in response to bondmaster

Plugins can be vulnerable and are somewhat of a safety concern. The newer formats are moving away from plugins.

If you are running macOS 10.13 as your profile shows, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS. That should reinstall Safari 11.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

Safari stops playing Amazon video content - Silverlight IS installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.