Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS wants access to your Google account

Just updated to Mojave 10.14.4. The only previous connection between any Google accounts I have and my Apple world is sharing my Google calendar with my Apple calendar (I can see on all my devices).

Now I'm getting a request in Mac OS calendar to enter the password for the Google account. "Google requires completing authentication". The pop-up opens safari and takes me to a page that says macOS wants the ability to do all of these (no pick-and-choose possible):

• Read, compose, send, and permanently delete all your email from Gmail (not necessary - I don't use Apple mail on the Mac for access to my Gmail)
  • See, edit, download, and permanently delete your contacts (um, no. In any case, my contacts are already in iCloud)
  • See, edit, share, and permanently delete all the calendars you can access using Google Calendar (this is what I'm looking for, although I really just want to "see". The rest is unnecessary)
  • View and send chat messages (not needed)

My only choices at this point are to allow this full access or cancel (and then have to deal with being asked again).

Is there a way to get my Google calendar events to show up in my Apple calendar like it did previously and not allow access to everything else? Can I just leave it be? If the latter is true, any way of getting rid of the prompts to enter the password?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2019 6:20 AM

The number of very unhelpful (derogatory honestly) comments and statements here is beyond belief.

The bottom line is that when Apple releases an update to macOS they NEED to provide their loyal base details about what's IN the update! We WANT security updates, but if they keep surprising us with changes...we're going to be much LESS likely to take these updates.

I don't care about the details of the security fixes being included in the documentation, as Apple has always been cagy about detailing those. However, if you're going to introduce or include a NEW feature...they need to provide documentation so we are prepared to deal with the change.

For those who get blind sided by this issue the SOLUTION to is is to head over to System Preferences and uncheck the 'Safari Autofill' option under Touch ID as shown. Life returns to normal.

Similar questions

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2019 6:20 AM in response to LD150

The number of very unhelpful (derogatory honestly) comments and statements here is beyond belief.

The bottom line is that when Apple releases an update to macOS they NEED to provide their loyal base details about what's IN the update! We WANT security updates, but if they keep surprising us with changes...we're going to be much LESS likely to take these updates.

I don't care about the details of the security fixes being included in the documentation, as Apple has always been cagy about detailing those. However, if you're going to introduce or include a NEW feature...they need to provide documentation so we are prepared to deal with the change.

For those who get blind sided by this issue the SOLUTION to is is to head over to System Preferences and uncheck the 'Safari Autofill' option under Touch ID as shown. Life returns to normal.

Apr 5, 2019 9:52 AM in response to jjkraw

It’s Google who is asking. Need to either accept all (no significant risk to you) or shift all your calendars from Google.com to iCloud.com.

That is what I did. The only problem as you probably know is accessing icloud calendar from android devices but it just needs an app and a one-time password. I prefer to trust my data to Apple rather than google.

The first request is for MacOS and safari not Mail.

Apr 24, 2019 8:17 AM in response to JorgeB2

One final note, the options you select on your Mac mail setup (Sync contacts, calendar, email, notes) does not affect the access Mac OS requests from gmail. They seem to always ask for full access. I just authenticated with another gmail account that I only sync email, and it requested full access to everything (including chat), which isn't even an option.

This screenshot is the Mac OS authentication request when setting up just email syncing.

So if you want to use Mac mail with a gmail account and you on Mojave+, you need to allow full access and trust that Mac mail won't do anything its not supposed to do (which I do, more than other mac email clients). But Mac mail could be more selective of the access it is requesting.

Apr 15, 2019 10:03 AM in response to Jennifer70

As said before it is Google who is making the request. Same as I get gmails saying “xyz device just logged into your Google account, was this you?”

It’s not a Mojave request, it’s Google’s security. Ask them why they are so security conscious, or dump them. The only reason I keep my gmail address is that I have a Youtube channel, but I avoid signing into my Google account if at all possible, dumped my Droid devices and moved all my stuff to iCloud.

Apr 16, 2019 1:47 AM in response to Jennifer70

In fact you prompted me to download and archive my YouTube videos and delete my channel and my Google account. Google still has my stuff stored somewhere I suspect but of no further commercial use to them and at least they told me its all gone - browsing history, comments by me and comments about me, reviews, timelines, the lot.

Apr 17, 2019 8:51 AM in response to LD150

How is this from Google?

1- The *Apple message* explicitly specifies it's from *Apple* -- "macOS wants to access your Google Account" even clicking through macOS shows the original message is from "account_support@apple.com"

2- I usually see this from corporate email accounts, where you cede access to backend control so they can remotely scan/delete emails, e.g., if you access private health or financial emails from your phone

3- Last, to be cynical, Google, by definition, already has access to your Google email :) It's no secret that they scan people's emails for marketing. This is obviously from Apple, and only comes up when being setup through an Apple app (Calendar).

Apr 17, 2019 9:12 AM in response to LD150

Yes. I get the exact same popup the OP did. I'm adding to the description--when he (and I) talk about the text that says macOS wants to access... "macOS" is expandable to show the origin of the request.

EDIT: Ah, I see the confusion. My comment was ambiguous: when I said "original message" I didn't mean from an email, I meant the macOS access "message"

Apr 17, 2019 10:40 AM in response to LD150

Agree 100% that it's the OS, and it's a choice to take it or leave it. But I don't think that was anyone's question.

It was more about, why did this happen after the 10.14.4 update? Did Apple change their security policy? Is it a bug? Why do they suddenly want access to non-Apple email when they didn't before?

Again, I'm in agreement: at the end of the day, it's a user decision. But it's fair to ask the question of why the sudden change.

macOS wants access to your Google account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.