Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2012 Black Screen when in Target Display Mode

Using a 2018 MBP and USB to thunderbolt adapter and cable to connect to a 2012 iMac. iMac goes into TDM but screen is black. Also tried with 2015 MacBook Air, same result. Both the MBP and Air see the iMac as a display in "about this mac" and system preferences, but the screen on the iMac is black. All have latest software. tried SMC and PRAM resets. Lots of chatter on the internet, but no resolution except for outlier cases.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2019 10:43 AM

Problem solved. After reinstalling Mohave on the iMac, TDM mode is working when you enter TDM when the login window on the iMac is displayed (regardless of whether or not someone is logged in to any particular user account on the iMac). Apple support had me go through a specific set of steps ... turn off both Macs, turn on the MBP, connect the cable to the MBP. Turn on the iMac, connect the cable to the iMac. Then, the iMac should go into TDM automatically - if not, hit CMD F2. I had to to hit CMD F2.

If you try to enter target display mode while logged into a user account on the iMac, you get a black screen with no other indication that anything else is wrong. The connected Macs think the iMac is a display, but the iMac screen is black.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2019 10:43 AM in response to shawk

Problem solved. After reinstalling Mohave on the iMac, TDM mode is working when you enter TDM when the login window on the iMac is displayed (regardless of whether or not someone is logged in to any particular user account on the iMac). Apple support had me go through a specific set of steps ... turn off both Macs, turn on the MBP, connect the cable to the MBP. Turn on the iMac, connect the cable to the iMac. Then, the iMac should go into TDM automatically - if not, hit CMD F2. I had to to hit CMD F2.

If you try to enter target display mode while logged into a user account on the iMac, you get a black screen with no other indication that anything else is wrong. The connected Macs think the iMac is a display, but the iMac screen is black.

Apr 7, 2019 7:23 AM in response to shawk

Hi shawk,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having trouble using your 2012 iMac as a display using Target Display Mode.

Check out the "System Requirements" section of this article: Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode.

Make sure your iMac is able to be used as a display as well ensure that the ports and cables are compatible.

Cheers!

Apr 10, 2019 2:22 PM in response to shawk

Hey shawk,

Thank you for getting back to us. It sounds like you’ve tried a great deal of troubleshooting. 

Have you also tried to start up your MacBook Pro in safe mode, and then, try to enter Target Display Mode on your iMac. That can further help to rule out any issues: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

You also may want to take a look through the suggestions here for troubleshooting video issues on an external display: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac.

Best of luck!

Apr 7, 2019 8:11 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for the reply. That article says my mac is supported. I am using apple thunderbolt cables, fresh off a $75 purchase for the USB-C adapter and cable. The 2018 MBP needs the adapter, the 2015 MacBook air just needs the cable. When connecting either computer to the iMac, both the MBP and MacBook behave like the iMac is there. Choosing display system preferences and clicking "gather windows" brings up the iMac display preferences pane. And, I can rearrange the displays, using the "arrange" display option. I can drag windows from the MBP or MacBook Air screen to the iMac. But, because the iMac screen is blacked out, I can't see anything there.

So, the iMac is being recognized by the computer it is connected to ... as a big screen. The internet is filled with people with this issue. One guy found that an audio cable was messing it up. Another guy found his brightness was too low. Some lady said she had the wrong cables. Yet another dude said the short cable worked, the long did not (I'm using a brand new short cable, apple branded) Another dude said it was his keyboard (he had the fn box checked in the settings). Another reset the PRAM and SMC (I tried that as mentioned above)

Before lugging this off to an apple store ... trying one last chance to see if someone had another workaround that makes it work. I guess it's possible that the brand new cable is bad. OS10.14.4 is the latest version (in case someone sees this post in 2025).

Apr 12, 2019 9:12 AM in response to chris_g1

I tried safe mode - because safe mode disables the port, the iMac won't go into TDM. The MBP, when in safe mode, does not send a single out the USB-C/thunderbolt port to the iMac. So, the iMac won't respond to the TDM key combination. Same happens if I put the iMac in safe mode, it does not send a signal out of the thunderbolt port so the it does not respond to the key combination.

I also unplugged everything from both computers.

I'm going to try setting up a new user on the iMac

Apr 12, 2019 10:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Creating a new user did not provide a different outcome.

Yeah. The cable is brand new and apple branded. I tried cheaper cables and the iMac would not switch into TDM. I sprung for the apple versions and at least the thing now switches, but of course I have a black screen. It's possible that the USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter and the thunderbolt cable are bad.

Apr 14, 2019 12:39 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I was on with apple care and ... no luck. When was done with them, I was left with two options. 1) buy new cables, 2) re-install everything on the iMac.

So, this morning I wiped the iMac drive clean and did a full re-install. As I thought, the MBP still would not work. But, the MacBook Air with 10.14.3 did work!!!!! So, I updated the MacBook Air to10.14.4 and now it's not working. :-(

So, something is up with 10.14.4 and my cable is good ... more searching.

iMac 2012 Black Screen when in Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.