Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upload my Music and Pictures folders to icloud

I've been using icloud to store my documents and Photos. I have increased my icloud storage so I can upload my whole pictures folder (I also have many, many folders of pictures not included with my Photos) and my Music folder?

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2019 9:13 AM

DJMc wrote:

I have increased my icloud storage so I can upload my whole pictures folder

is your photos Library.photoslibrary in your Pictures folder? Be careful, when you move the content of your Pictures folder to iCloud Drive. You can move folders with images to iCloud Drive, but be sure to skip the Photos Library, when moving files to iCloud Drive. Joseph already mentioned, that we cannot store the Photos Library on iCloud Drive. The iCloud sync will damage the library, just like Dropbox or Google Drive. If you have been using iCloud Photos, your photos are already in iCloud anyway.

An easy way to upload your iTunes Library to iCloud would be iTunes Match. It is less expensive than Apple Music.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2019 9:13 AM in response to DJMc

DJMc wrote:

I have increased my icloud storage so I can upload my whole pictures folder

is your photos Library.photoslibrary in your Pictures folder? Be careful, when you move the content of your Pictures folder to iCloud Drive. You can move folders with images to iCloud Drive, but be sure to skip the Photos Library, when moving files to iCloud Drive. Joseph already mentioned, that we cannot store the Photos Library on iCloud Drive. The iCloud sync will damage the library, just like Dropbox or Google Drive. If you have been using iCloud Photos, your photos are already in iCloud anyway.

An easy way to upload your iTunes Library to iCloud would be iTunes Match. It is less expensive than Apple Music.

Apr 7, 2019 8:06 AM in response to DJMc

Good afternoon DJMc,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you would like to know how to use iCloud Drive to store files and folders in iCloud. You cannot store your Photo library or Music library files in iCloud. I would suggest using a local external drive to archive this media.

Set up iCloud Drive

iCloud Drive FAQ

"What types of files can I store in iCloud Drive?

You can store any type of file in iCloud Drive, as long as it's 50GB or less in size and you don't exceed your iCloud storage limit. That means you can keep all of your work documents, school projects, presentations, and more up to date across all of your devices. Learn more about managing your iCloud storage.

You shouldn't store app folders, libraries, or .tmp files in iCloud Drive."

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

"You can store your library on an external storage device, such as a USB or Thunderbolt drive formatted as APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).1 Find out how to check the format of your external storage device

To prevent data loss, Apple doesn't recommend storing photo libraries on external storage devices like SD cards and USB flash drives, or drives that are shared on a network."

Back up and restore your iTunes Library

Take care.

Apr 7, 2019 10:37 AM in response to DJMc

You must set up iCloud photo library see this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204264

And read this https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204926

Saving photos / music in folders and then syncing with iCloud Drive is not recommended , even any alteration of photo library from the finder see this https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201732

is never to be done , it can corrupt the photo application see this https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/photos/system-photo-library-overview-pht211de786/3.0/mac/10.13

WARNING: To avoid accidentally deleting or corrupting a Photos library, do not alter the contents of a library in the Finder.

Apr 8, 2019 5:36 AM in response to DJMc

Thanks for the information everyone. I was hoping that I could use icloud drive like a backup HD. After experimenting and reading your advice, I realized that was not going to happen. As I already have all my photos in the app and my documents uploaded to icloud, I will just reconsider adding more of my saved photos to the app and simply put my itunes library on a memory stick to take along as needed. Thanks to one and all.

How do I upload my Music and Pictures folders to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.