Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library size challenge

I am trying to free up hard drive sapce on my MB-Air. I have deleted photos and videos from my Photo's library but the photos libray size has not changed? Any way to fix this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 5, 2019 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2019 5:13 AM

Did you also empty the Recently Deleted album? If the photos are still in Recently Deleted,the library size will not change.

And your library size may also not change, if you are using iCloud Photos with "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled. In that case you may just be removing the smaller thumbnails, and photos may download other photos in full resolution from iCloud. With iCloud Photos the storage management is Donne by iCloud and you have little control over it.

Or did you perhaps just remove photos from albums instead of deleting photos? If you are viewing albums and then use the delete key, it will remove the photo from the album, but not delete it. The photos in the albums are just references to the photos in the library and removing it from an album will not free any storage.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2019 5:13 AM in response to spencerpj

Did you also empty the Recently Deleted album? If the photos are still in Recently Deleted,the library size will not change.

And your library size may also not change, if you are using iCloud Photos with "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled. In that case you may just be removing the smaller thumbnails, and photos may download other photos in full resolution from iCloud. With iCloud Photos the storage management is Donne by iCloud and you have little control over it.

Or did you perhaps just remove photos from albums instead of deleting photos? If you are viewing albums and then use the delete key, it will remove the photo from the album, but not delete it. The photos in the albums are just references to the photos in the library and removing it from an album will not free any storage.

Photos library size challenge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.