Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Does Mail Keep Asking for a Password?

My Apple Mail will not send outgoing mail because it keeps asking for a password for one of my gmail accounts and then tells me it can not verify the account. I have reset the password which did not solve the problem. So then I removed the account. And Mail keeps asking for the password for this now no longer account. I have restarted the iMac, checked the smtp server (smtp.comcast.net), yet the connection doctor says I am not connected to this sever. Nothing works. I can send outgoing mail using my iPad but not my iMac. What is wrong?

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2019 10:23 AM

Read If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password which specifically addresses Google Mail.

It seems to me that removing the account should have stopped the password nag. Refer to Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. Confirm that you followed the instructions under "Remove an email account", and if you really want to continue using Google for your email service, add it again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2019 10:23 AM in response to Big Mike

Read If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password which specifically addresses Google Mail.

It seems to me that removing the account should have stopped the password nag. Refer to Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. Confirm that you followed the instructions under "Remove an email account", and if you really want to continue using Google for your email service, add it again.

Apr 8, 2019 10:43 AM in response to Big Mike

Hi, have you changed your eMail password lately?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Why Does Mail Keep Asking for a Password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.