Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail smtp

I use Apple Mail to read and send gmail. Everything works fine until recently, when I changed the gmail password. I have updated my account in Mail, and have no problem reading gmail (IMAP), but I can not send via gmail. If I use the gmail smtp to send, Mail will ask me to log in to the smtp, and keeps rejecting the new password ( also the old one). I have tried deleting the smtp and set up a new one, No luck. I have to send through my other smtp account.

Any idea welcome.

Macbook pro 13" running 10.14.6.

MacBook Pro 13”

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 3:32 AM

Since it's an IMAP account and you shouldn't lose anything by deleting and re-adding the account I suggest you delete the account then re-add it but rather than selecting Google in the options list when you go to add it back, choose 'Other' which will give you the option of adding the SMTP server. You might want to go into Keychain Access first and remove all items relating to the problem account first just to be sure you don't store up any potential problems for the future.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 3:32 AM in response to unckt

Since it's an IMAP account and you shouldn't lose anything by deleting and re-adding the account I suggest you delete the account then re-add it but rather than selecting Google in the options list when you go to add it back, choose 'Other' which will give you the option of adding the SMTP server. You might want to go into Keychain Access first and remove all items relating to the problem account first just to be sure you don't store up any potential problems for the future.

Gmail smtp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.