Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook stopped sending and receiving mail from Gmail

Why can’t I get gmail on my MacBook? It keeps asking for my password but won’t accept it. Mac stopped sending and receiving mail from gmail.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 1:09 PM

For time being, try login via browser. Check with

gmail help online, for their take on this matter.

My gmail accounts in Mac use updated browser

because the other system method is too old.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Good luck in this issue!🌻

7 replies

Nov 30, 2021 1:07 PM in response to AGREM

..agrem:

There's scarcely enough offered in above first contact

from opening topic, to draw any conclusions about it.

Depending on your precise configuration of hardware

and software in your device &/or Mac, etc; the results

can and will vary. Sometimes, by quite large margins.

• Product Feedback - Apple

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You may enter in to ask (you may get reply) @ Apple

'Feedback - Products' page(s) as direct contact portal.

After that point in time, they may contact you; space

is available in the online return form, for that purpose.

However too, they may not. Make a good point, by not

going too far into grey areas. What you've learned may

be helpful to those who read the Feedback reports.

As just another fellow Apple device owner/user, I've

experienced many similar things; can't rise to all of

my own concerns, nor have I gotten m/any replies.

Few who may reply here, have any official standing.

Feedback, done right; is one way to send a message.

..You may not see or hear results. ~ Take a chance..

I've gone as far as contact 'google help' portals; but

find their replies are limited at best. With too much

going on all around; little depth is seen in replies.

Good luck in any instance! ⚖︎🂡

Nov 30, 2021 12:14 PM in response to K Shaffer

Care to explain what you mean by updated browser?

I noted several gmail accounts that were working just fine (I have several), now have a few that won’t work. This cut across the iphone, ipad, and my MAC devices as well. Not all of them, just SOME of them.

I, like I assume the original poster, want an Apple rep to step in and provide some advice. if we wanted to use a browser or even the gmail app, we are aware those are options — just not the ones we want right now. We want working and correct mail.app behavior on our devices.

Dec 2, 2021 1:32 PM in response to BDAqua

I was unable to get it to work with 2-factor authentication enabled even with an APP password.

Since the APP password replaces the normal account password in the setup, it was easier to just set a longer, more complex password on the Gmail account(s) and disable 2-factor authentication.

With all of the new private IP, VPN, and other settings, it seems Google has issues identifying the host Apple device with 2-factor authentication enabled at all these days.

Lastly, I'll add that I totally removed ALL Gmail accounts from ALL devices, and turned off everything but my MAC to re-create/re-add the entries into Apple mail. Everything still failed until I totally disabled all 2-factor authentication.

Dec 2, 2021 1:44 PM in response to AGREM

One other point -- you may want to review the settings for the junk and archive folders on Gmail via browser, along with other privacy settings. By default, they have enabled opt-in to allow their tools to look at your email content and what you type in the privacy area. IN addition, the default for TRASH/deleted messages is they move to their ARCHIVE rather than delete immediately.

This means even your deleted mail is kept on their servers longer than you expect. Feels a lot like Facebook these days when I look at some of what got enabled without any notification.

Dec 16, 2021 10:53 PM in response to ajss08

It seems Google now requires the account to be created in a Browser. Be sure you know your Gmail account sign-in information, then delete the troublesome account from System Preferences>Internet Accounts. Then add it back. When you select Google, you'll be prompted to complete the setup in your Browser. You'll sign into your Gmail account in the browser and the account setup will complete.

Hope this helps.

(and, NO. Google "help" was no help at all on this)

MacBook stopped sending and receiving mail from Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.