Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mail app keep asking for Gmail password on MacBook Pro

I keep getting the message "Can't connect to the account "Gmail" Enter the password for user .....

Whatever password I enter, it doesn't work.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 7:22 AM

Is it possible the G-Mail Account configured from Google has Googles Application Specific Password requirement Enabled

If so, refer to link below for Additional Information

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

This Application Specific Password thing is not unique to Google as Apple also requires that for Applications that are None Apple Specific Applications to access iCloud e-mail

Refer to link from previous Contributor

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 7:22 AM in response to mearsj

Is it possible the G-Mail Account configured from Google has Googles Application Specific Password requirement Enabled

If so, refer to link below for Additional Information

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

This Application Specific Password thing is not unique to Google as Apple also requires that for Applications that are None Apple Specific Applications to access iCloud e-mail

Refer to link from previous Contributor

Jul 1, 2023 3:33 PM in response to mearsj

I had the same problem, but solved it! (MacBook Pro 15 inch, mid 2014 on macOS Big Sur Version 11.7.2). I was getting repetitive notifications to give Gmail password. I click on continue and an empty dialogue with rotating icon comes on. Only other choice is cancel. I eventually went on to Mail, deleted my Gmail account (Mail menu, Accounts, Internet Accounts dialogue comes up, Select Gmail at left column and the minus sign on the bottom left, it will ask to confirm if you want to delete the Gmail account). Then I changed my default browser to Safari. I was using Chrome as default browser. To change default browser to Safari go to Apple icon - upper left menu bar, System Preferences, General, Default Web Browser dropdown and select Safari, close window (red button on upper left). Then, in Mail I added back my Gmail account (Mail, Accounts, Internet Accounts dialogue, click on Gmail in right column and dialogue comes on asking to open browser. This time, Safari opened and asked for my Login info and then to open my iPhone Google app to confirm it's me. Voila! The Gmail acct is added in and able to see my emails and no more notification asking for password. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Jan 17, 2024 10:43 PM in response to thedoc1111

I did exactly what you did. 2 days later, the Mac started asking for the password again. Tried it again and every 4 hours it kept asking for the password. Even if I leave mail open, it stops syncing and asks for the gmail password. Stumped.

Tried the suggestions in the links provided. same thing happens, Mail asks for the Gmail password. I go through authentication, action it, it starts syncing and then stops syncing and asks for a password.

Oddly my iPhone has the gmail accounts and it syncs and has no issues.

I have no VPN, no firewall, Not router firewall, no anti virus software running, no little snitch, no background processes which should be affecting gmail on Apple mail.

Stumped.

I resolved this by not trying to use gmail accounts on Apple Mail. Works a treat.

Mail app keep asking for Gmail password on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.