Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sum Subtotals in Numbers spreadsheet

I have a column of currency numbers for several categories. I want to sum each category in the single column (each of which becomes a subtotal), and then make a sum of all subtotals in the same column. Is there a way of doing this? In my screen shot attachment the numbers in purple fill cells are my subtotals. I want to get a total of these subtotals at the bottom of the column. Please be simple in any response. I'm not a savvy in spreadsheet terminology. Thanks

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 9, 2019 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2019 2:51 AM

If you've already got the subtotal rows in your table as in your screenshot, then a simple approach would be to hold down the <command> key and select the subtotal cells like this:

Then simply drag the SUM token that appears into the cell where you want the total. This will automatically insert a formula.

If you haven't yet inserted subtotals and your table still looks something like this...

.... then Smart Categories are an efficient tool for the job. Simply choose Add Category for ... in the dropdown by the column letter of the column that contains the categories:

The result will be something like this:

Then click the 'gear' icon that appears next to a category heading cell in the Amount column and choose Subtotal.

The result will look something like this:

Now to get the grand total click the row number in the last row of the table and choose:

In the cell where you want the cell, enter =SUM(B) and you will get something like this:

Numbers automatically adds the (Body) in the formula, denoting that it doesn't include the subtotals themselves in the sum.

This description makes this seem to be a longer and more complicated process than it really is. It literally takes only about a minute to subtotal by category and derive a grand total.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2019 2:51 AM in response to jimmh

If you've already got the subtotal rows in your table as in your screenshot, then a simple approach would be to hold down the <command> key and select the subtotal cells like this:

Then simply drag the SUM token that appears into the cell where you want the total. This will automatically insert a formula.

If you haven't yet inserted subtotals and your table still looks something like this...

.... then Smart Categories are an efficient tool for the job. Simply choose Add Category for ... in the dropdown by the column letter of the column that contains the categories:

The result will be something like this:

Then click the 'gear' icon that appears next to a category heading cell in the Amount column and choose Subtotal.

The result will look something like this:

Now to get the grand total click the row number in the last row of the table and choose:

In the cell where you want the cell, enter =SUM(B) and you will get something like this:

Numbers automatically adds the (Body) in the formula, denoting that it doesn't include the subtotals themselves in the sum.

This description makes this seem to be a longer and more complicated process than it really is. It literally takes only about a minute to subtotal by category and derive a grand total.

SG

Apr 9, 2019 10:16 PM in response to jimmh

Hi jim,

You can view subtotals using Categories in the current version of Numbers. Take a look in the Help menu for Numbers Help, and search Categories for details.

Outside the Categorises feature, best practice is to use one table exclusively for Data Collection, then do the summary calculations on a separate table.

For an example that closely matches your situation, see the Personal Budget template supplied with Numbers. Data entry is done on the transactions table. Summary calculations similar to what you want are done on the Summary table on a separate sheet.

Regards,

Barry

Apr 10, 2019 12:21 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks so much SGil for your response. It's so helpful & simple. I thought there must be a way to do this & searched Numbers Help, but couldn't find anything, at least something that I could understand without spending the next month learning complex spreadsheet terminology, for which I just don't have the time.

I wonder why Numbers Help is so complicated. Perhaps there should be two types of Numbers Help, one for spreadsheet heavy users who want to understand how it all works, and one for those of us who are occasional users and want it to be as simple as possible. Is there a Manual (electronic is fine, actually preferable) that explains, in simple terms, how Numbers works? ...... I just now went to Numbers Help and clicked on Service & Support. I'll look at this and perhaps my need will be found! Thank you.

Thanks also Barry for your reply.

Sum Subtotals in Numbers spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.