Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autoplay videos

I am running IOS 12.2 on my Ipad pro and would like to know how to disable autoplay videos in the Safari browser. Any help would be very much appreciated as this is very annoying. If I wanted to watch a video I would simply hit the play button. Sometimes these videos can not be paused, forcing me to watch a one minute commercial leading into a 30 second video, wasting my data, and my time...

Posted on Apr 10, 2019 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2019 3:27 PM

Some websites autoplay embedded video content upon accessing the page. Similarly, some sites (such as YouTube) insert commercials on popular content - as this is how they monetise their site.

Some newer browsers, such as Firefox desktop, are now inhibiting autoplay content such that it won’t play unless explicity requested:

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/block-autoplay/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=2019fxnews-en&utm_content=04102019

Safari for iOS remains limited in its options to control content content play/rendering - however, some content blocker Apps can augment Safari’s native capabilties; 1Blocker X is one example of a highly configurable content blocker, however, it won’t inhibit a websites intended autoplay content.

Other browsers for iOS are available. With research, you may find one that inhibits autoplay. Firefox for iOS might even catch-up with its desktop cousin.

Hope you find this helpful.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2019 3:27 PM in response to h82crash

Some websites autoplay embedded video content upon accessing the page. Similarly, some sites (such as YouTube) insert commercials on popular content - as this is how they monetise their site.

Some newer browsers, such as Firefox desktop, are now inhibiting autoplay content such that it won’t play unless explicity requested:

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/block-autoplay/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=2019fxnews-en&utm_content=04102019

Safari for iOS remains limited in its options to control content content play/rendering - however, some content blocker Apps can augment Safari’s native capabilties; 1Blocker X is one example of a highly configurable content blocker, however, it won’t inhibit a websites intended autoplay content.

Other browsers for iOS are available. With research, you may find one that inhibits autoplay. Firefox for iOS might even catch-up with its desktop cousin.

Hope you find this helpful.

Autoplay videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.